1. Blackpool
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 11:24
    It is my 50th in June (as seen in the title) and I want to go somewhere different for a holiday to celebrate.
    I am working class, so could never afford an expensive holiday, but I want to go to USA as I've never been and want to go.
    I'm asking my American chess playing friends for advice on where would be good to go on a budget?
    I'd love to go to Nashville and write a song, but I'd also like to go to Cincinatti as I played a lad from there in a RHP tournament and he was telling me that the whole place smells of pine.
    I like a few beers too, so I'd want to go to a few bars.
    Any advice appreciated.
    I own Fylde Landscapes of Blackpool, so check me out on Facebook and Youtube and maybe we could come over and build you a sensational garden if you are rich and want to pay for our holiday πŸ˜€πŸ™„
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 16:13
    Originally posted by Blackpoolmad
    It is my 50th in June (as seen in the title) and I want to go somewhere different for a holiday to celebrate.
    I am working class, so could never afford an expensive holiday, but I want to go to USA as I've never been and want to go.
    I'm asking my American chess playing friends for advice on where would be good to go on a budget?
    I'd love to go to Na ...[text shortened]... ome over and build you a sensational garden if you are rich and want to pay for our holiday πŸ˜€πŸ™„
    I don't know how much time you have or how much money to spend, but this country is quite large and it's hard to grasp a feeling for the country or its people on one trip.

You might try a cruise down the Mississippi River on a paddlewheeler to see a good swath of the country, but even that has a locality to it. Or even rent a car and drive on the old Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles. That's a good way to see a lot of the beauty of the country and to meet a variety of people. Plus it takes several days, a week if you want to take your time and you get a feeling for just how big this country is.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 16:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I don't know how much time you have or how much money to spend, but this country is quite large and it's hard to grasp a feeling for the country or its people on one trip.

You might try a cruise down the Mississippi River on a paddlewheeler to see a good swath of the country, but even that has a locality to it. Or even rent a car and drive on the old Ro ...[text shortened]... ys, a week if you want to take your time and you get a feeling for just how big this country is.
    Great suggestions. Season of the year may also become a primary planning consideration.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 17:102 edits
    I'd love to go to Na ...[text shortened]... ome over and build you a sensational garden if you are rich and want to pay for our holiday πŸ˜€πŸ™„
    I suggest a foliage or garden oriented tour. Check out the seasons. Azaleas blossom in the southeast US, like Savannah, Charleston and the nearby plantations. Cherry trees blossom in Washington DC with the bonus of the Smithsonian museums. Between these two locations there is Williamsburg, for an authentic taste of colonial America. Further north if in the fall, the turning colors will amaze you. To save money, stay away from Manhattan and San Francisco, and anything Disneyesque.

Edit, Don't expect much blossoming in June.
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 17:14
    Southern Utah has a good number of national parks, is accessible from Las Vegas, which is also close to California. If you are looking for natural wonders, you can see enough for a lifetime and for very little money.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 23:22
    Hire or buy a car on one coast and drive it to the other. You'll find out why they call it God's country. Don't miss the Tetons or the great southwest desert--there's nuthin' like that England.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 23:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Great suggestions. Season of the year may also become a primary planning consideration.
    Oh, yes, hadn't thought of that. If right now, New England or even the east coast in general sounds iffy. In summer, I wouldn't be traveling huge distances across the desert southwest.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 23:491 edit
    Go to Texas. That way you can see Mexico and the U.S. in
    one go, giving you more bang for your buck.

I'd recommend Austin. It's clean, liberal, and very much
    party oriented without the frat boy, spring breaker attitude
    of other places. Moreover, the 6th street bars will give you
    a lot of entertainment and you'll meet very nice people from
    all walks of life.

For an after-beer snack I recommend Katz and for a nice
    dessert try the Flying Cow ice creams. The surroundings
    of the UT are delightful for a picnic and all year round you
    can find concerts and film festivals catering to all tastes.

Stay away from the rest of Texas.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 01:18
    Oh, yes, hadn't thought of that. If right now, New England or even the east coast in general sounds iffy. In summer, I wouldn't be traveling huge distances across the desert southwest.
    "In summer, I wouldn't be traveling huge distances across the desert southwest." Suzi, if a resident of Blackpool, England,
    I would too... saving Cape Cod for summer with the bright blue weather of New Hampshire and Vermont for autumn.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 01:20
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Go to Texas. That way you can see Mexico and the U.S. in
    one go, giving you more bang for your buck.

I'd recommend Austin. It's clean, liberal, and very much
    party oriented without the frat boy, spring breaker attitude
    of other places. Moreover, the 6th street bars will give you
    a lot of entertainment and you'll meet very nice people from
    all walks of ...[text shortened]... an find concerts and film festivals catering to all tastes.

Stay away from the rest of Texas.
    "Stay away from the rest of Texas." Seitse, why?
  11. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 01:271 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    ..I'd recommend Austin...

If you do come to Austin, I'm 45 minutes away and can put you up for a few days at no charge. Warning: June will be a tad bit warm here.

Best, Steve
  12. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 02:07
    Don't bother coming to Colorado.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 14:56
    Monty!!

Can you please type your reply in the correct box?

Anyone trying to quote your post gets nothing the way you do it, and it makes separating your reply difficult.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 15:13
    Monty!!

Can you please type your reply in the correct box?

Anyone trying to quote your post gets nothing the way you do it, and it makes separating your reply difficult.
    Picky, picky, picky.
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 15:15
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Stay away from the rest of Texas." Seitse, why?
    I have nothing but bad experiences, from Amarillo to McAllen.

Except Austin, of course.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree