1. Joined
    13 Aug '11
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 12:53
    It has happened that I accidentally have submitted a move , that i didn´t meant. Is there any possibility, within RHP, to (on both players agreement) undo such a move?
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 13:02
    Originally posted by Dag Almkvist
    It has happened that I accidentally have submitted a move , that i didn´t meant. Is there any possibility, within RHP, to (on both players agreement) undo such a move?
    No, sorry, once you click submit it is virtually carved in stone forever.
    I've done it myself, either I see a problem with the move right after I click, or I accidentally play the wrong move, like I see a 3 move combination and play the second or third move rather that the first move. I do the latter more often. It's tough.
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 22:54
    Har hänt mej också.

Happened to me too - I just tried different solutions and all of a sudden I said ok to submit and it was not the best move.
  4. Joined
    14 May '14
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 23:09
    Been there, done that. Just have to live with it. Kinda like your piece dropping on the wrong square in blitz....
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 23:341 edit
    If your opponent actually agrees to this and the move is reversible (i.e. not a pawn move, capture or castling) then he simply makes some move with a knight say, you move the piece you accidentally moved back to where it came from, he then puts his knight, or whatever it was, back and the only think different is a couple of extra moves on the game score. However, there is no reason for your opponent to go along with that and he is entirely within his rights to refuse to do this.

Edit: I took a quick look, judging by the similarity of names that probably isn't such a great problem after all. It looks like you're past that point in the game anyway, but if it happens again then what I described will work in cases where the piece can legally be moved back to its original square.
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 09:06
    Not sure 'takebacks' have any place in chess (with the exception of coaching games). Chess is a brutal game, beautiful and compelling because of that brutality. Mistakes happen. We just have to live with that. Once we start allowing (or expecting) compassion or mercy, we lose something fundamental to the game.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 19:09
    If it wasn't a pawn move, then your opponent could simply make a useless move, then you each bring the pieces back to the original squares and continue on.
  8. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 19:35
    It happened to me once on RHP so far. I agreed with the opponent that I would resign the game and restart from the previous position with a new unrated game (using set position). He agreed, I resigned the rated mistaken game, and won the unrated corrected game.
  9. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 20:03
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Not sure 'takebacks' have any place in chess (with the exception of coaching games). Chess is a brutal game, beautiful and compelling because of that brutality. Mistakes happen. We just have to live with that. Once we start allowing (or expecting) compassion or mercy, we lose something fundamental to the game.
    Totally agree. How do we know the submit button was hit by mistake. An opponent may make a blunder and only notice it later, and then say he didnt mean that move. You cant take a move back OTB, so why should it happen here.
  10. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 21:28
    Real takebacks (like with a programmed takeback feature) in rated games are indeed something RHP should not consider implementing. An exceptional argument could be glitches caused by the website's interface itself. But this is rare I guess, and filing a bug is probably more appropriate.

A takeback feature in unrated games could be thought about, but I don't need it.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 22:53
    Practically all my moves are accidently submitted. 😞
  12. Subscriberflyingcod
    Berg Katze
    The Edge of Sanity
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 23:031 edit
    I wouldn't mind taking the last 100 moves back.

Can't buy a win these days. :'( 😞

fc
  13. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Mar '15 17:16
    Two possible solutions.

1. As already suggested, both players make reverse moves back to the point of the blunder if that is possible, then proceed with the game.

2. Agree to a draw on the blundered game. Start a new game and play the exact same moves again up to the point that the blunder was made.
  14. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    21 Mar '15 18:35
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Two possible solutions.

1. As already suggested, both players make reverse moves back to the point of the blunder if that is possible, then proceed with the game.

2. Agree to a draw on the blundered game. Start a new game and play the exact same moves again up to the point that the blunder was made.
    But where would you draw the line. Every game where a blunder happens, would be getting restarted. At the end of the day, the point is that we want our opponents to make mistakes, because thats how we force a win.
  15. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Mar '15 20:051 edit
    Originally posted by steve45
    But where would you draw the line.
    I don't see any line that needs to be drawn.

The two options I suggested already exist and are between only the two players involved in a particular game. They would both have to be in agreement to do either action. If either one opposes, the game proceeds as usual.

Nothing is being changed or added here. During any regular game, either action is already an option on this site and does not require modification or approval from anyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree