1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Mar '15 19:43
    As part of my outreach work, i often find myself in coffee shops, with clients, playing chess. (My travel chess set is like a fifth limb). It feels perfectly natural to play a game or two while sipping a cappuccino and munching on a biscotti.

Got me wondering though, what is it about chess that makes it so compatible with coffee shops? i wouldn't feel so comfortable bringing out a monopoly board or playing battleships. Even a game of cards would make me feel a bit conspicuous. Is chess unique in this respect?

Played two games yesterday and won them both. It was a good day.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '15 20:49
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    As part of my outreach work, i often find myself in coffee shops, with clients, playing chess. (My travel chess set is like a fifth limb). It feels perfectly natural to play a game or two while sipping a cappuccino and munching on a biscotti.

Got me wondering though, what is it about chess that makes it so compatible with coffee shops? i wouldn't ...[text shortened]... hess unique in this respect?

When you play chess with clients it is better to let them win 😀
  3. Aylesbury
    Moves
    28 Mar '15 20:59
    >> Got me wondering though, what is it about chess that makes it so compatible with coffee shops?

Sip, move, sip, chat, sip, move.

Works well with beer too!
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Mar '15 21:51
    Originally posted by Eladar
    🙂 Am currently beating one of my clients 22-5.

May seem harsh, but he really enjoyed those 5 victories. (And i enjoyed seeing him enjoy them).

Alas, no beer though.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '15 22:351 edit
    🙂 Am currently beating one of my clients 22-5.

May seem harsh, but he really enjoyed those 5 victories. (And i enjoyed seeing him enjoy them).

Alas, no beer though.
    Did you notice that your client was happier with you when the client won? Happy clients make happy accounts. You might want to make a blunder or two or ignore a blunder or two to allow a little better win rate.

By playing your client is getting better and better!

Btw I think you had a chance at a smothered mate in your first game on this site. It was either a smothered mate or your opponent would have to trade his rook for your knight.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Mar '15 23:57

Got me wondering though, what is it about chess that makes it so compatible with coffee shops? i wouldn't ...[text shortened]... hess unique in this respect?

Card games are associated with gambling, chess has lost that association. Backgammon, go, and draughts would work as well, but other board games just require too much setting up and bits all over the place.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 08:38
    Did you notice that your client was happier with you when the client won? Happy clients make happy accounts. You might want to make a blunder or two or ignore a blunder or two to allow a little better win rate.

By playing your client is getting better and better!

Btw I think you had a chance at a smothered mate in your first game on this site. It was either a smothered mate or your opponent would have to trade his rook for your knight.
    Thanks, will go back to the game and have a look.

The client was happy when he won as he knew i was giving him my best game. I don't think he would have found his victories quite so sweet if he suspected i had let him win.

As an aside, chess has also been a useful way to engage with clients with high anxiety, confidence issues. (Should probably explain that i work in the mental health field and that my 'clients' are not rich investors). The chess board acts as a kind of barrier, a point of focus, over which a conversation can flow.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 14:11
    Originally posted by Duncan Clarke
    >> Got me wondering though, what is it about chess that makes it so compatible with coffee shops?

Sip, move, sip, chat, sip, move.

Works well with beer too!
    But with beer, the more you sip, the worse you play. I know that for a fact🙂
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 23:16
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Card games are associated with gambling, chess has lost that association. Backgammon, go, and draughts would work as well, but other board games just require too much setting up and bits all over the place.
    Without gambling backgammon is just Ludo!!
    The doubling die is an important part of strategy.
  10. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 00:25
    Also true when you're interviewing for a job.
    I was challenged to a rapids game so couldn't decline. I rolled up my sleeves and played (and lost).
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 00:35
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Without gambling backgammon is just Ludo!!
    The doubling die is an important part of strategy.
    Yes, but if people see you playing backgammon they won't instantly think that there's money at stake, whereas if they see you playing cards they might think that.
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 15:01
    Coffee shop update:

Played my client again this morning and suffered the most brutal defeat i have ever experienced OTB. It was horrific.

Thank god i had the coffee.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 01:39
    Coffee shop update:

Played my client again this morning and suffered the most brutal defeat i have ever experienced OTB. It was horrific.

Thank god i had the coffee.
    Did you record the moves?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 01:401 edit
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    Also true when you're interviewing for a job.
    I was challenged to a rapids game so couldn't decline. I rolled up my sleeves and played (and lost).
    Hey! Tony the Benoni!

Nice to see you. If losing at chess can get you hired, I should be able to get any number of jobs. Of course I didn't play for my college, so beating me wouldn't do much for a person's ego.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 07:24
    Did you record the moves?
    Afraid not, but i could describe the coffee.

(I was forked and pinned all over the place and at one point was a queen and bishop down). He sent me a text later in the day; a smiley emoticon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree