1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 May '15 10:37
    Has anyone heard rumors of a giant comet due to hit earth in September this year? Are there any comet due to come close to earth during this time?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 May '15 11:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    Has anyone heard rumors of a giant comet due to hit earth in September this year? Are there any comet due to come close to earth during this time?
    If there was a comet going to hit earth and we knew about it, it would be all over the news. If there was a comet going to get even remotely close to earth, and we knew about it, it would be all over the news.
    If there is a rumor about a comet hitting the earth, who cares? False rumors are free. Get all you want on the internet.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 May '15 11:21
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/05/18/bad_astronomy_video_odds_of_dying_in_an_asteroid_impact.html

This morning I wrote about why a planetary alignment can’t cause earthquakes. In it I also mention that every time an asteroid passes Earth there are a bunch of breathless articles implying (or outright stating) that scientists are worried it will cause a mass extinction.

The vast majority of these articles are, to be technical, what comes out of the south end of a north-facing bull.

This is no exception.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2054665/2-5-mile-wide-comet-headed-toward-earth-conspiracy-theorists-spread-doomsday-mass-hysteria/

Conspiracy nut echo chamber nonsense... Nothing more.

This happens every few months, they never learn.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '15 11:221 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If there was a comet going to hit earth and we knew about it, it would be all over the news. If there was a comet going to get even remotely close to earth, and we knew about it, it would be all over the news.
    If there is a rumor about a comet hitting the earth, who cares? False rumors are free. Get all you want on the internet.
    I checked it out and it seems there is a lot of buzz on the net about this, and it seems to be about 100% religious in origin, another end of days BS tale. I am listening to one of them but will not give them the time of day by actually posting this BS here.

When the dreaded date goes by with nothing happening, the end of days idiots will just go 'no, it really is going to happen on sept 24 2016, we just got it wrong by one year' or some such rot.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 May '15 11:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I checked it out and it seems there is a lot of buzz on the net about this, and it seems to be about 100% religious in origin, another end of days BS tale. I am listening to one of them but will not give them the time of day by actually posting this BS here.
    I regularly check a whole bunch of astronomy related sites, Bad Astronomy blog included.
    And I hadn't heard about this until RJHinds posted in spirituality forum...

That's how dumb this conspiracy theory is.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '15 12:17
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I regularly check a whole bunch of astronomy related sites, Bad Astronomy blog included.
    And I hadn't heard about this until RJHinds posted in spirituality forum...

That's how dumb this conspiracy theory is.
    It's funny how such BS gets started, especially this one supposedly about comet Ison. That is the one that skirted the sun so close it got consumed by the sun. The thing about the orbit of Ison is it is perpendicular to Earth and couldn't EVER come within a hundred million miles of Earth. Yet now all of a sudden there is this leftover from Ison, a rock 2.5 miles wide or so headed straight for Earth AND they know exactly where it will hit! Like out near Puerto Rico or some such BS.

It does say a lot about the supposed intelligence of the human race, eh.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 May '15 18:20
    Really?

What benefit would there be in creating hysteria?
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 May '15 18:43
    Asteroids and comets are detected by using telescopes [large and small] to search the sky for
    points of light [in visible, infra-red, and occasionally radio wavelengths] that move against the
    backdrop of 'stationary' stars.

They are found by professional astronomers and big automated sky surveys, as well as amateurs
    using 'backyard' telescopes [some pretty big].

When an object is found that is not listed in any catalogue of known objects it's location is reported
    to http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/mpc.html where they check to see if this really is a new object
    and if it is notify the major sky surveys and asteroid hunters as well as publish this information [the new
    object can often be named by, or for, the first person/group/sky survey to find it] so that repeat observations
    can be made.

These repeat observations made by telescopes around the world over a period of days, weeks and months
    [depending] are what allows the establishing of the objects orbit.

By the time an object has been determined to be on a collision course with earth it's location and trajectory
    are already worldwide known public knowledge.

You cannot cover this stuff up.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 May '15 09:541 edit
    Really?

What benefit is there lying about politics non-stop as you normally do? Clearly you think there is some benefit. I think it is just a stupid thing to do as it just makes your own cause look bad. I am guessing that you are desperate for attention, even negative attention.

As for creating hysteria, people are to some degree attracted to hysteria and 'end of world' scenarios. So if you create one, you get attention. Christianities owes a large part of its success to this technique.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 May '15 10:38
    Humanities fascination with death and destruction is quite interesting.

Personally, I think we have this trait so that our brain can learn to cope with the undeniable reality of our mortality.

This is not a bad thing at all, until you start to let it control your life.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '15 10:58
    Really?

Why don't you check out who is doing the hystericizing: Religious nutters with their video's hoping for more weak minded followers, preferably rich ones.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 May '15 11:31
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Asteroids and comets are detected by using telescopes [large and small] to search the sky for
    points of light [in visible, infra-red, and occasionally radio wavelengths] that move against the
    backdrop of 'stationary' stars.

They are found by professional astronomers and big automated sky surveys, as well as amateurs
    using 'backyard' telescopes [ ...[text shortened]... nd trajectory
    are already worldwide known public knowledge.

You cannot cover this stuff up.
    So what if an amateur sees something and reports it and no one in the press tells about it?

If such a catastrophic event were to happen on earth, there would be virtually nothing that could be done about it.

Why then create hysteria?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 May '15 12:33
    So what if an amateur sees something and reports it and no one in the press tells about it?
    Why would no-one in the press tell about it? It would be a massive story. Why pass up on that?

If such a catastrophic event were to happen on earth, there would be virtually nothing that could be done about it.
    That depends on the size of the object and where it is expected to strike.

Because hysteria sells. That is about 50% of the news business. The other 50% is gossip.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 May '15 12:49
    Why would no-one in the press tell about it? It would be a massive story. Why pass up on that?

[b]If such a catastrophic event were to happen on earth, there would be virtually nothing that could be done about it.

That depends on the size of the object and where it is expected to strike.

Because hysteria sells. That is about 50% of the news business. The other 50% is gossip.[/b]
    Hysteria only sells if it makes money.

This particular hysteria would only cause people to forsake their daily living arrangements and attempt to protect themselves in the same manner that the power that be would presumably be trying to prepare. In short, it is limiting the competition for such resources needed to try and survive.

Progressives generally think that the planet is over populated as it is. This may be seen as a good thing by many of them.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '15 13:03
    Hysteria only sells if it makes money.

This particular hysteria would only cause people to forsake their daily living arrangements and attempt to protect themselves in the same manner that the power that be would presumably be trying to prepare. In short, it is limiting the competition for such resources needed to try and survive.

Progressives generall ...[text shortened]... k that the planet is over populated as it is. This may be seen as a good thing by many of them.
    This hysteria is 100% generated by religious nutters trying to build their flock and just coincidentally get money🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree