1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 12:142 edits
    If anyone has the inclination, could I ask that someone adds a RHP wiki page?

I'm unable to do this myself without falling foul of promoting self-interest (as I understand the rules anyway).

Obviously there can be no "reward" for this, but if you can put together some high(ish) quality text together about the site and add to wiki, that would be very useful. Thanks.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 12:45
    Hi Russ,

It would help if you could provide some basic facts and figures. Date of inception, number of paying and non-paying members, etc.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 13:06
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Hi Russ,

It would help if you could provide some basic facts and figures. Date of inception, number of paying and non-paying members, etc.
    Yes, moonbus, along with site standard chess, Fischer Random960, tournaments, private clan and club and public forum options; recently enhanced features; no cost membership and subscriber benefit options.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 13:20
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Yes, moonbus, along with site standard chess, Fischer Random960, tournaments, private clan and club and public forum options; recently enhanced features; no cost membership and subscriber benefit options.
    I'm willing to draft a proposal, together with any other interested parties, and submit it for comment here.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 13:21
    I'm willing to draft a proposal, together with any other interested parties, and submit it for comment here.
    All in...
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 13:26
    All in...
    Glad to have you on board, Bob. I will PM you (and anyone else who shows interest) later this evening.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 13:422 edits
    Glad to have you on board, Bob. I will PM you (and anyone else who shows interest) later this evening.
    Be a Wikipedia Editor

"Let's get one thing out there first: Anybody can edit Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia. In that sense, anyone can be a Wikipedia editor. However, to be trusted within the Wikipedia community requires a bit more effort. This article will show you how easy it is to get started and set you on the right path to being a Wikipedia editor. You're looking at a Mediawiki wiki, and it works in the same way Wikipedia does. If you're reading this, you're probably new to wiki editing. That shouldn't stop you from practicing. If you've got some beginner tips to share, log in and edit this wiki page." http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Be_a_Wikipedia_Editor

Note: My pleasure. Hope this article/resource enables us to achieve early momentum and credibility by avoiding newcomer omission/commission errors.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 14:15
    I think an important thing to note here is that any entry in Wikipedia for RHP has to be as factual and unbiased as possible. Perhaps including some mention of the "wild-west" atmosphere of the early forum activity and perhaps some acknowledgement that for what is predominantly a chess site, the forum activity has taken on a life of its own. As well as a mention of the controversy surrounding the banning of several who were accused of engine use. All I'm saying is that such an article should be as bias-free as possible and therefore perhaps some mention could be made of the more notorious bits of RHP history, as well as a comprehensive audit of the features of the site, including a run-down of the latest cosmetic updates. Perhaps also a section with all the relevant "numbers" of the site and how this compares with other chess sites.

Just a few random thoughts I had... take them or leave them as you will.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 14:49
    Thanks, Suzi. We'll take your notes into consideration and post a draft here in due course before going public with it.

Bob and one other person have expressed interest in working on this.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 15:27
    Thanks, Suzi. We'll take your notes into consideration and post a draft here in due course before going public with it.

Bob and one other person have expressed interest in working on this.
    To Suzi and moonbus: heartily agree that our approach in preparing this initial draft should simulate open ended brain storming with results that are brutally objective; with the caveat that Russ will then evaluate the draft within the context of his own competitive perspective, overall short and longer term business goals as the site's proprietor prior to submission to Wiki.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 15:35
    Perhaps it will be useful to look at the wikipedia entry for Chess.com.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess.com
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 17:222 edits
    To Those It May Concern:
    Any and all posts to online public forums become locked in cyberspace cement which means they're readily accessible to anyone in the world with internet access. If and/or when these posts reference another competitive website your originating site nickname becomes an identifier of personal details to the extent to which birth dates, geographic location and other private data have been disclosed. In context, familiar with two other competitive sites: one is vastly inferior to this one which does not hold true for the other. Let's refrain from website names in public. P.S. Yes, this post with its selfsame text will be out there in due time. It's The Year of Our Lord, 2015, and Edward Snowden. Hello....
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 17:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think an important thing to note here is that any entry in Wikipedia for RHP has to be as factual and unbiased as possible. Perhaps including some mention of the "wild-west" atmosphere of the early forum activity and perhaps some acknowledgement that for what is predominantly a chess site, the forum activity has taken on a life of its own. As well as a ...[text shortened]... h other chess sites.

Just a few random thoughts I had... take them or leave them as you will.
    Well, proven to have used engines...
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 18:37
    To Suzi and moonbus: heartily agree that our approach in preparing this initial draft should simulate open ended brain storming with results that are brutally objective; with the caveat that Russ will then evaluate the draft within the context of his own competitive perspective, overall short and longer term business goals as the site's proprietor prior to submission to Wiki.
    Deja vu?

http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=64739
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 21:343 edits
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Deja vu?

Updating RHP's profile on Wikipedia (OP) Thread 64739
    Original post by Standard member jsmith on 10 Mar '07 15:00

Standard member jsmith Joined05 Feb '07 Moves777 10 Mar '07 15:00
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Pawn

"Despite GameKnot having a reported 1/2 a million members, none of them are interested in their page on the Wikipedia. I may not know RHP, the history, the moderators etc but those of you who do can update the Wikipedia page.

To meet Wikipedia's quality standards don't copy and paste from RHP but expand the article."

Interesting site archive retrieval; once posted in a public forum here, it's there in cyberspace until the cows and competitors come home.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree