1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 02:23
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/01/man-applies-for-marriage-license-to-have-two-wives/

Nathan Collier of Billings said Wednesday that last week’s U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage inspired him to try to force the acceptance of polygamous marriages.

He says he’ll sue the state if his application is rejected.

Collier says Yellowstone County Courthouse officials initially denied the application Tuesday. When he told officials he planned to sue, they said they would consult with the county attorney before giving him a final answer.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 02:29
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/01/man-applies-for-marriage-license-to-have-two-wives/

Nathan Collier of Billings said Wednesday that last week’s U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage inspired him to try to force the acceptance of polygamous marriages.

Collier says ...[text shortened]... they said they would consult with the county attorney before giving him a final answer.
    The arguments for legalising polygamy are totally different
    to same-sex marriage ... but why not? Good luck to him.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 03:30
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The arguments for legalising polygamy are totally different
    to same-sex marriage ... but why not? Good luck to him.
    Yea, the argument will be, "Polygamy? That's disgusting! 😵
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 03:322 edits

Collier says ...[text shortened]... they said they would consult with the county attorney before giving him a final answer.
    My hero will be the person who manages to rob the state of the power of the marriage license. They have no business in this whatsoever.

So is marriage a Civil matter or a religious one?

Vote now!! What say ye all?

Incidentally, when someone sues to marry his dog, please don't make a thread stating he is my hero either.

Thanks in advance.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 07:321 edit
    I wonder if polygamous marriages from other countries are recognised when people move to the US. If not, does one wife become the 'legal spouse' or is the marriage ignored altogether?

Edit:
    After a bit of research it turns out the US will generally not recognise it and may even treat it as a crime.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 10:271 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I wonder if polygamous marriages from other countries are recognised when people move to the US. If not, does one wife become the 'legal spouse' or is the marriage ignored altogether?

Edit:
    After a bit of research it turns out the US will generally not recognise it and may even treat it as a crime.
    In the eyes of Obama, I think one wife can be considered legitimate and the other illegitimate. Perhaps he thinks they should be thrown in jail.

Dunno, I guess we will have to await the Obama faithful to sort this out.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 10:301 edit
    Marauder should be along any moment now saying that the state needs to determine if it is in the best interest of the state to let them marry, that is, after arguing that gays should be allowed to marry based upon the notion that it is their natural right to do so.

I guess we have no natural rights unless it is shown that the state has a compelling interest to let us have them.

Good luck with that! 😵
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 11:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    My hero will be the person who manages to rob the state of the power of the marriage license. They have no business in this whatsoever.

Incidentally, when someone sues to marry his dog, please don't make a thread stating he is my hero either.

Thanks in advance.
    I disagree Whodey. The state's "power" regarding marriage licenses is normally for the purpose of public record keeping. Without these records wills, estates, and division of marital asserts in the event of a divorce cannot take place, since there would be no records. Therefor I would contend that the state should have at least some "business" regarding the issuing of marriage licenses. You are 100% incorrect. 😏
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 12:44
    Yea, the argument will be, "Polygamy? That's disgusting! 😵
    no it won't
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 12:45

Thanks in advance.
    "So is marriage a Civil matter or a religious one?"

religious marriage is one thing, civil marriage is another
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 12:52
    Originally posted by bill718
    I disagree Whodey. The state's "power" regarding marriage licenses is normally for the purpose of public record keeping. Without these records wills, estates, and division of marital asserts in the event of a divorce cannot take place, since there would be no records. Therefor I would contend that the state should have at least some "business" regarding the issuing of marriage licenses. You are 100% incorrect. 😏
    In a sense, government is taking over the role of the church for society's recognition and approval of the union. The way I see it, other than this symbolic role, the state provides a role in record keeping and adjudication service for couples wishing to make use of it for those wills and trusts and prenups and powers of attorney etc. Most of the work done, and money made, is done so by attorneys and such, to set things up and settle disputes. Arguably this could all be done in the private sector except where criminal acts are charged, by agreement to use specified arbitrators and the like. I am trying to think of a reason a person couldn't write a binding contract equivalent to marriage in its scope, with one or more other persons. After all, cohabitation as a crime is pretty much a thing of the past in modern democracies. Registration of the marriage contract with government would not be needed any more than other contracts are. It could be argued that government could provide a court of last resort more or less along the lines of tort law.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 12:53
    I actually agree, but only on one, unnegotiable condition: that you don't get any, I repeat any bonuses, tax credits, subsidies, whatever, for being married. All accounts are to remain separate, spouses get no benefits, not during life, not on inheritance, none whatsoever.
    In other words: if the state has no business in your marriage, your marriage has no business on your tax returns. Or insurance, or credit ratings. It works both ways: you now get financial benefits from (amongst others) the state for being married, and therefore the state has a say in who can or cannot get married; if the state has no say in who gets married, married people get no financial benefits.

As a single man, this would suit me just fine: less of my tax money would go to married couples who only whine to me about their spouses.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 14:263 edits
    Really?

So you are saying that without marriage there would be no way to establish a division of assets?

It begs the question, how does the state determine these things when people do not get married?

For a secular state, marriage is just a business contract and sex is just like a bodily funciton like going to the bathroom.

Now why would the state care if I go to the bathroom and why should the same business contract be drawn up for all the same way?
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 14:55
    You can have civil domestic partnerships to accomplish all of those things.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 15:01

You're not born polygamous. Case closed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree