1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 12:581 edit

excerpt from travelling article

In the first round of 33rd Andorra Open I cowardly played Smyslov’s variaton in Grunfeld’s defense and everything went well – I was hoping to reach a draw against the opponent whose rating is ca. 550 points higher than mine.

I saw that he couldn’t write my name on score-sheet properly: instead Crnkovic, he wrote “xxxCNTcccc”. I thought it was fy.cking vane and coc--ky for a man who is wearing Olimpiakos shirt and has a name “Jerez Perez etc, something”, like Prezzos in Serbian.

Next to him there was sitting an old man, Pampliage was his name, and this player was expelling strange voices through his larynx, like sqeaking old dog who is about to die. In between those sqeaking sounds, he talked to himself like a vetrilquoist. Probably an obstructive bronchitis, which will bring him death in a few years, in nice state hospital with well paid nurses who won’t hate their patients too much.
  2. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 15:46
    This is one of the most unpleasant and cynical views of a sick man I've ever read. How else did this old man offend you into writing this?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 18:361 edit
    Originally posted by Larkie
    This is one of the most unpleasant and cynical views of a sick man I've ever read. How else did this old man offend you into writing this?
    He didn't offend me at all, where did you get this idea from? Reveal Hidden Content
    You must be one of them, politically correct whistlers and squeakers, who spend all their time in hunt for other people's politically incorrect statements?

He offended, or better say, distracted my opponents, also today when I finally won. This Pampliage ventruloqist repeated his performance.
    If i could I would use him as Karpov used Dr. Zuhar against Kortchnoi 1978.
    But it's impossible.

Reveal Hidden Content
    I think only Greenpawn remembers Dr. Zuhar here. it is amazing how no single photo of Zuhar can be found on internet. He is believed to be dead now, but I think he still lives under Antarctica, helping Putin.
  4. Joined
    21 Dec '14
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 20:142 edits
    first on I think it's pretty respectless to believe you're that unimportant so xxxxwhatever is enough to note.
    About your "noisy neighbor" - I guess most tournament players have already met this guy at least once ....I would always feel with his opponents and neighbor boards 🙂

gl for the rest tournament - I keep watching it
  5. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 23:42
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    He didn't offend me at all, where did you get this idea from? [hidden]You must be one of them, politically correct whistlers and squeakers, who spend all their time in hunt for other people's politically incorrect statements?[/hidden]
    He offended, or better say, distracted my opponents, also today when I finally won. This Pampliage ventruloqist repeate ...[text shortened]... is believed to be dead now, but I think he still lives under Antarctica, helping Putin.[/hidden]
    Where did I get the idea from? Are you kidding?
    Well, let's see....Ah, it might have been the reference to the bloke's state of health and his impending death, perhaps? Nasty, nasty stuff.
    You accuse me of being a 'politically correct squeaker' - aye, fair enough - but there are boundaries, and you've gone way over with this.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 00:17
    [pgn]
    1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. cxd5 Nxd5 6. Bd2 O-O 7. Rc1 Nb6 8. e3 Nc6 9. Bb5 {9. Bg5 is Karpov's move from 2 blitz games} Bd7 10. O-O a6 11. Be2 Bf5 {not so good novelty; 12. ...e5 was more challenching} 12. h3 {cowardly} e5 13. e4 exd4 14. exf5 dxc3 15. Bxc3 Bxc3 16. Rxc3 Qxd1 17. Rxd1 Rfe8 18. Bd3 {not god as I thought during the ...[text shortened]... few years, in nice state hospital with well paid nurses who won’t hate their patients too much.
    Who actually wrote the "traveling article" excerpt?

It was interesting that the writer would refer to someone else being cocky and <sic> "vane" in the second paragraph, and then exhibit those exact same qualities in the third paragraph.

I am writing from the "American English" perspective, so there may well be something lost in the translation here, and I just do not yet "get it".
  7. e4
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 01:56
    There will be a few people recall Dr. Zukhar and all the carry on in the 1978 WC match
    which, by the way, did not officially finish end till game 12 of the 1981 match.

Confused....here is the link with all it's grimy details.

(It's long. Go and make yourself a cup a coffee and keep
    reminding yourself that we are talking about a game of chess.)

http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/78kk$$01.htm

That was Karpov - Korchnoi 1978 - just imagine what Karpov - Fischer 1975 would have been like.

Excerpt from Travelling Article,

Probably not the way I'd describe a scene at a chess tournament.

I usually view other player with regard what type of player they are.

The shirt and tie wearers are usually stodge merchants. Long unkempt hair
    with tee and jeans are usually the saccers. Youngster will be booked up to the eyeballs.

Diagnosing other players ailments and predicting how long they have to live. - that's new.
    Maybe I have been going about it all wrong.

Hi vandervelde,

More notes to the games would be good. 12.h3 'Cowardly' but what do you think in
    hindsight you should have played?

So more games with a few more details in the notes - please.

You were doing OK and your Bc2 does look wrong.

It was the move your opponent was waiting to see. What else. Bf4.

I went into the PGN file to get the diagram and noticed there were more moves and notes.
    There is an error in the original file. 29....Kc5 should be 29...Ke7

Here is the rest of the game.

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 11:19
    Originally posted by Larkie
    Where did I get the idea from? Are you kidding?
    Well, let's see....Ah, it might have been the reference to the bloke's state of health and his impending death, perhaps? Nasty, nasty stuff.
    You accuse me of being a 'politically correct squeaker' - aye, fair enough - but there are boundaries, and you've gone way over with this.
    Bug off from this topic, don't pollute chess topic with your sissy PC crocodile tears for people I "offended".

To the others-->
    I am cynical in my Gonzo /traveling essays and I usually publish them on www.e-novine.com under real name.
    In this excerpts I was cynical toward Serbian health care.
    In the rest of paragraf dedicated to this game, I gave compliments to my opponent, who was cool and nice during our analysis in hotel bar. Which wasn-t so often case with chess players, they are by the rule freaks and weirdos even when they win.

Iti si possible that my writing style (I translated myself artocle from Serbian into English fast and furious with zillion mistakes ad mispellings of course) is too bitter for some people, but they will have to live with it.

And I might just start the tread about PC in Politics or Society subforum.

I wanted to season chess comentaries with travelouges.
  9. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 12:39
    Personally I really like vandervelde's writing style. Besides which, it is always fun to read about players experiences in real chess tournaments rather than this online rubbish.
  10. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 13:07
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Personally I really like vandervelde's writing style. Besides which, it is always fun to read about players experiences in real chess tournaments rather than this online rubbish.
    So do I - very entertaining and some gems in there too. I'll keep reading them and wish the lad luck with his chess and his travels.
    But THAT paragraph was offensive - and I'm not the only one who thought as much, judging by 6 thumbs-down.
    But enough. I'm off to go hug some trees.
  11. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    21 Jul '15 14:06
    That post has obtained a ~33% approval rating, which is about what David Cameron achieved in the last general election!
  12. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 10:25
    Bug off from this topic, don't pollute chess topic with your sissy PC crocodile tears for people I "offended".

To the others-->
    I am cynical in my Gonzo /traveling essays and I usually publish them on www.e-novine.com under real name.
    In this excerpts I was cynical toward Serbian health care.
    In the rest of paragraf dedicated to this game, I gave ...[text shortened]... ut PC in Politics or Society subforum.

I wanted to season chess comentaries with travelouges.
    I would like to know if this particular sick-man was playing in his iPod a song from Pekinška Patka?
    -
    YouTube
    -
    sure!!
    -
    this is going to destroy any rival!!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 11:43
    Ha ha.
    The man looks like Walter Matthau without wig and is in fact sympatico guy. I am looking forward to play against him in one of coming rounds..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree