1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 11:27
    Forest fires moving to higher elevations. Early 20th century, forest fires never went over the 8000 foot level, now 3 or 4 fires are reaching up past 8000 feet:

http://phys.org/news/2015-07-drought-climate-fuel-high-elevation-california.html
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 14:301 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Forest fires moving to higher elevations. Early 20th century, forest fires never went over the 8000 foot level, now 3 or 4 fires are reaching up past 8000 feet:

http://phys.org/news/2015-07-drought-climate-fuel-high-elevation-california.html
    Not that more data was needed. But, for some people, no amount of data will ever be enough to convince them because they choose to not accept a truth they don't like.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 15:10
    Originally posted by sonhouse

The climate is changing? Say it isn't so! The Earth's climate has never changed in the past. I wonder what is making it change now?

Yeah, that was sarcasm.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 15:51
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The climate is changing? Say it isn't so! The Earth's climate has never changed in the past. I wonder what is making it change now?

Yeah, that was sarcasm.
    We do not need another climate contrarian idiot posting their ignorant political views in every climate thread.

Natural climate change does indeed happen, and it has almost certainly caused countless deaths and civilisational
    collapse throughout human history and pre-history. [as well as being the prime suspect in the greatest mass
    extinction of all time]
    This just goes to highlight that climate change, in particular RAPID climate change, is dangerous and best avoided
    if possible as it will be at best highly expensive to adapt to, and at worst a disaster on a scale so huge as to dwarf
    any encountered thus far in our species history possibly [if unlikely] leading to our own extinction.

This means that causing rapid climate change is an epically stupid thing to do.

We have way more than enough evidence, and a rock solid scientific consensus, that says that we are currently being that
    epically stupid. That we are causing significant and very rapid climate change.

It is possibly not yet too late to change enough to avoid the worst effects, if we act decisively now.

And we can do so while improving our standards of living and quality of life if we act in ways that are smart and well thought out.

Idiots like yourself who ignorantly claim to know better than the overwhelming majority of experts on the subject are standing
    in the way of taking such action. And are thus causing millions of unnecessary deaths and species extinctions by causing
    more unnecessary pollution to be emitted.

I consider that to be a crime.

A moral crime, if not yet a legal one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree