1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 11:571 edit
    As a respite from the interminable and ridiculous YEC, evolution, Flood etc threads, here is a subject that I have been interested in for a while.

I have heard that about half the world's population, of various faiths, believe in some kind of reincarnation.

Even in the Bible there is at least one reference to it. Jesus speaking to his disciples tells them that John the Baptist was a reincarnation of the OT prophet Elijah. But, I hasten to add, the official stance of Christianity is that there is no such thing, and somehow they explain that scripture away.

Of course, I could just Google the subject and get the general overview opinion. However, what interests me is the following:

1. Is there anybody reading this that is a believer in reincarnation of some sort? (I assume that at least dasa and Hakima are)

2. Does anybody here have a real life experience of remembering one or more previous lifetimes? There has been quite a bit of publicity recently of such occurrences.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 14:07
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Even in the Bible there is at least one reference to it. Jesus speaking to his disciples tells them that John the Baptist was a reincarnation of the OT prophet Elijah.
    I don't agree with this; can you demonstrate scriptural veracity?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 14:22
    Perhaps the laws of reincarnation dictate that it is possible to return as a body part of a human or animal.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 14:27
    As a respite from the interminable and ridiculous YEC, evolution, Flood etc threads, here is a subject that I have been interested in for a while.

I have heard that about half the world's population, of various faiths, believe in some kind of reincarnation.

Even in the Bible there is at least one reference to it. Jesus speaking to his disciples tells t ...[text shortened]... r more previous lifetimes? There has been quite a bit of publicity recently of such occurrences.
    Yep, not meant i think to take the John the Baptist thing literally (that's Hinds downfall) but rather that he came in the “spirit and power of Elijah.”

"...and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.” (Luke 1:17)

And of course Elijah didn't die, but was taken to heaven in a chariot of fire. (Allegedly).
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 14:39
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Yep, not meant i think to take the John the Baptist thing literally (that's Hinds downfall) but rather that he came in the “spirit and power of Elijah.”

"...and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a peo ...[text shortened]... )

And of course Elijah didn't die, but was taken to heaven in a chariot of fire. (Allegedly).
    exactly.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 14:39
    Reincarnation is just one of many ways of people trying to brush away their inevitable mortality, innit?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 14:41
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Reincarnation is just one of many ways of people trying to brush away their inevitable mortality, innit?
    Well, one thing, I have never been in a nation that valued the Rein car. Maybe a rusty Volvo or two.....
  8. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 14:451 edit
    Thanks for these posts so far.

I really do not want to defend or even discuss the merits of the Elijah story - I accept that the official Christian position has an explanation. I merely mentioned it as an interesting anecdote.

Are there any takers for my questions 1 or/and 2?

What I would specifically like to know from a proponent of reincarnation is whether there is a finite number of "souls" that go around, and if so, how come the population has increased so much over time? Do new souls get created, or are they transferred from the animal kingdom?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 14:58
    I find that unlikely. I initially thought it was based on a count of Buddhists and Hindus, but I see from Wikipedia that many surveys have found people of other faiths admitting to some belief in reincarnation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation

However, I still find the 'half the world's population' a likely exaggeration and would want to see the actual questions asked in the surveys before taking them too seriously.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 14:59
    What I would specifically like to know from a proponent of reincarnation is whether there is a finite number of "souls" that go around, and if so, how come the population has increased so much over time? Do new souls get created, or are they transferred from the animal kingdom?
    Some reincarnation beliefs involve the whole animal kingdom. Others involve other planets. If I am not mistaken Dasa believes that there are other planets with intelligent life and that humans have been on earth for millions of years.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 15:22
    Don't believe in reincarnation, but have always liked the idea of having more than one life and how this would seem to account for the injustice of existence. (For example a child born into poverty, disease and premature death, while someone else being born into privilege and good health). If we live many lives, then such an imbalance seems more tolerable. Karma is also an interesting concept.
  12. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 15:281 edit
    I was on an overseas trip recently with a Jewess, who was as surprised that I did NOT believe in reincarnation (doesn't everybody? ) as I was that she DID. Her greatest fear was that she would die in, say, a car accident in which the last thing she saw was a dog, because that was what she would come back as.

It was surprising to me that at least some Jews have incorporated reincarnation into their belief. But I agree with twhitehead, my 50% figure is not above suspicion.
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 15:34

It was surprising to me that at least some Jews have incorporated reincarnation into their belief. But I agree with twhitehead, my 50% figure is not above suspicion.[/b]
    Not sure about a world percentage, but a quick google search reported:

'The survey also finds that 42% of Americans believe in ghosts, 36% each believe in creationism and UFOs, 29% believe in astrology, 26% believe in witches and 24% believe in reincarnation.'
  14. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 16:161 edit
    36% each believe in creationism and UFOs.'
    Probably the same 36%...

😀
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Aug '15 18:36
    Not sure about a world percentage, but a quick google search reported:

'The survey also finds that 42% of Americans believe in ghosts, 36% each believe in creationism and UFOs, 29% believe in astrology, 26% believe in witches and 24% believe in reincarnation.'
    I'm guessing that by "creationism" you mean this idea that God just waved his magic wand and stuff just "poofed" into existence on a lazy afternoon because there was nothing else to do.

I believe that God created everything, so does this mean that I believe in "creationism"? I also believe that God used the existing physical laws he made up to create everything, and so the Big Bang theory and evolution are valid means of everything coming into existence over time. But I believe that behind it all was God's hand. Does this make me a "creationist" too?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree