1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 21:08
    Here you can ask for help from other site members in learning their language and about their culture. Personally I've always regretted not taking my schoolboy French and German further, and am quite embarrassed to be grouped with some of my wilfully monoglot compatriots who sincerely believe everyone should speak English.

So, if you want help with your English or help with learning a language not your own, please drop us a line in here. Especially useful might be language fundamentals such as subject-verb-object order and common verbs, as well as idioms, proverbs, colloquialisms and slang and quotes from literature, for those who are more advanced.
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 21:21
    Just to add, I think we could also include discussion of dialects here, of English and any other languages.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 21:24
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Here you can ask for help from other site members in learning their language and about their culture. Personally I've always regretted not taking my schoolboy French and German further, and am quite embarrassed to be grouped with some of my wilfully monoglot compatriots who sincerely believe everyone should speak English.

So, if you want he ...[text shortened]... proverbs, colloquialisms and slang and quotes from literature, for those who are more advanced.
    Please count me in, if I can be of any help. 🙂

(Incidentally, the American spelling is willfully.)
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 21:331 edit
    Some things I learnt today:

Un/le dépanneur (convenience store) is familiar to me from trips to Montreal, but I didn't know it means 'repair person' in France. It comes from the verb dépanner, "to help out of difficulty".
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 21:532 edits
    Originally posted by HandyAndy

You're in!
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 22:18

Which state are you from, Andy? Does it have a distinct culture compared to others in the US?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 22:24

So, if you want help ...[text shortened]... oms, proverbs, colloquialisms and slang and quotes from literature, for those who are more advanced.
    "Here you can ask for help from other site members in learning their language and about their culture..."

Sweden and the UK. Thanks, NER, for an innovative thread.
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 22:31
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Here you can ask for help from other site members in learning their language and about their culture..."

Sweden and the UK. Thanks, NER, for an innovative thread.
    Would you like to run through the Swedish alpabet and diacritics, GB? Only need do letters that are pronounced differently than in English.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 22:39
    Would you like to run through the Swedish alpabet and diacritics, GB? Only need do letters that are pronounced differently than in English.
    Rather learn more about their "... idioms, proverbs, colloquialisms and slang and quotes from literature, for those who are more advanced."
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 22:46
    Rather learn more about their "... idioms, proverbs, colloquialisms and slang and quotes from literature, for those who are more advanced."
    If you've got something specific in mind about the UK, let me know.
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 23:201 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '15 00:02
    If you've got something specific in mind about the UK, let me know.

You decide,,,,
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    21 Aug '15 00:26
    Which state are you from, Andy? Does it have a distinct culture compared to others in the US?
    I'm in Rhode Island, one of the original 13 colonies. Just imagine how great England would be today if they hadn't let all of this slip away.

What with wall-to-wall social media and instant communication, culture in different parts of the U.S. is pretty much homogenized these days. Except for Texas.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    21 Aug '15 00:34
    You decide,,,,
    I think he's looking for specific questions.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '15 00:36
    I'm in Rhode Island, one of the original 13 colonies. Just imagine how great England would be today if they hadn't let all of this slip away.

What with wall-to-wall social media and instant communication, culture in different parts of the U.S. is pretty much homogenized these days. Except for Texas.
    Well said.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree