1. Joined
    04 May '06
    Moves
    11 May '06 23:20
    You are out in the woods in a place unfamiliar to you with your friend when he gets bitten by a poisonous snake. You travel on a road towards the hospital when you come to a fork in the road. There are two identical twins standing at the fork. You do not know which way to go. You get out and a sign is posted reading: "We are the Smith twins we know which road takes you to the hospital. All we want to tell you now is one of us always lies and the other always tells the truth." You do not know which twin tells the truth or which one lies. What question must you ask in order to get the right road, to which twin must you direct the question, how do you know it is the right road? You only have time for one question.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 May '06 23:46
    Ask either twin "Which path would your twin tell me to take to get to the hospial?". Then go down the other path from the one they indicate.

Reasoning:

If the twin you ask is the truth-telling twin, he will know the other twin lies and will point you in the wrong direction, so will point the wrong way.

If the twin you ask is the one who always lies, he will also point you in the wrong direction (the direction the truth-telling twin would NOT have told you to go in).
  3. On the computer
    Moves
    12 May '06 02:451 edit
    Originally posted by TheBoss06
    You are out in the woods in a place unfamiliar to you with your friend when he gets bitten by a poisonous snake. You travel on a road towards the hospital when you come to a fork in the road. There are two identical twins standing at the fork. You do not know which way to go. You get out and a sign is posted reading: "We are the Smith twins we know which r irect the question, how do you know it is the right road? You only have time for one question.
    I count 5, no wait 6 times this same riddle has been posted.
  4. Joined
    04 Mar '03
    Moves
    12 May '06 05:52
    Originally posted by Codfish
    I count 5, no wait 6 times this same riddle has been posted.
    I am eagerly awaiting the version where Monty Hall arrives at the fork in the road.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    12 May '06 07:42
    Originally posted by ddebened
    I am eagerly awaiting the version where Monty Hall arrives at the fork in the road.
    And there are two twins at the crossroads; one twin is thirty years older than the other.
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    12 May '06 08:49
    You are out in the woods in a place unfamiliar to you with your friend when he gets bitten by a poisonous snake. You travel on a road towards the hospital when you come to a fork in the road. There are two identical twins standing at the fork. You do not know which way to go. You get out and a sign is posted reading: "We are the Smith twins we know which r ...[text shortened]... irect the question, how do you know it is the right road? You only have time for one question.
    I'd ask: "How does it feel to be a puzzle cliche?"
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 May '06 12:36
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    And there are two twins at the crossroads; one twin is thirty years older than the other.
    Ah, just got back from that relativistic journey I see.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 May '06 20:58
    You get out and a sign is posted reading: "We are the Smith twins we know which road takes you to the hospital. All we want to tell you now is one of us always lies and the other always tells the truth."
    How do you know if one of the twins only lies sometimes and he did so when writing the sign?
  9. Joined
    09 May '06
    Moves
    13 May '06 19:271 edit
  10. Joined
    15 Mar '06
    Moves
    15 May '06 14:29
    You are out in the woods in a place unfamiliar to you with your friend when he gets bitten by a poisonous snake. You travel on a road towards the hospital when you come to a fork in the road. There are two identical twins standing at the fork. You do not know which way to go. You get out and a sign is posted reading: "We are the Smith twins we know which r ...[text shortened]... irect the question, how do you know it is the right road? You only have time for one question.
    Becouse you don't know who tells the truth,you can ask either of the two this question;based on the fact that you know one truth-that they are twins.
    --you go like:"Are you twins;and which road leads to the hospital!?."

The one that always lies will say:'No we are not twins;and this road leads to the hospital.'-something like that!!,-maybe.Then you will decide to take the other road,your dicision wil be besed on the lie that they are not twins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree