1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:02
    You pay the entry fee to play in a tournament and win some money. Do you think this is gambling?

Do you consider chess different from poker in terms of gambling?
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:07
    You pay money to enter a golf tournament and win prizes, do you think golf is gambling?
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:081 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    You pay the entry fee to play in a tournament and win some money. Do you think this is gambling?

Do you consider chess different from poker in terms of gambling?
    Wasn't it banned in 1979 in Iran for this reason?

[edit: http://www.askasia.org/teachers/essays/essay.php?no=82]
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:121 edit
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Wasn't it banned in 1979 in Iran for this reason?

[edit: http://www.askasia.org/teachers/essays/essay.php?no=82]
    It has been banned in many Middle Eastern countries for that reason.
  5. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:15
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    It has been banned in many Middle Eastern countries for that reason.
    Which other countries have banned chess?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:16
    When darts was first invented it actually went to court, as the English licensing laws require that there is no gambling on licenced (ie for the sale of alcohol) premises. Its inventor showed that there was enough of an element of skill involved in the game to avoid the law see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darts and look at history, and so if darts isn't gambling then I think that chess escapes on the same grounds.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:23
    it's possible to gamble with chess, like the park hustlers. in effect, they make a bet on the outcome of the game. it's an oral contract.

in chess tourney, you pay an entry fee, which is in no way attached to the outcome of the games. you might get a prize or not, but it's still not attached to the entry fee. the tournament could even be free to enter, and still have prizes.

I think the difference is in the unwritten contract.

there probably is room for philosophical debate, but I think the religious interpretation of gambling is about preventing you of hustling others or destroying your own well-being, not about contract law.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:25
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Which other countries have banned chess?
    Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan are the ones I know off hand. I'll see if I can find which others.
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:271 edit
    Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan...
    Yeah, but they didn't call them the TaliBAN for nothing!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:27
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Yeah, but they didn't call them the TabiBAN for nothing!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    I could explain this joke if anyone likes.

Also, I am available for children's parties and bar mitzvahs.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:28
    Originally posted by wormwood

in chess tourney, you pay an entry fee, which is in no way attached to the outcome of the games. you might get a prize or not, but it's still not attached to the entry fee.
    I don't think you know what you're talking about.

The prize pool of every major USCF event is composed of the total entry fees minus the cut that the organizer takes for running the event. Although sometimes it is supplemented by a guaranteed fund or other sponsorship, the amount of the prize pool is primarily a function of the number of entrants and the entry fee.

The prize pool is distributed according to the outcomes of the games, with those players scoring the most points receiving the highest portions of the prize pool.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:30
    I don't think you know what you're talking about.

The prize pool of every major USCF event
    most people are not u.s. citizens.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 21:45
    Originally posted by wormwood
    most people are not u.s. citizens.
    You made a universal claim about chess tournaments having prize money unrelated to entry fees. USCF tournaments serve as a counterexample that demonstrates your claim to be false.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 22:03
    You made a universal claim about chess tournaments having prize money unrelated to entry fees. USCF tournaments serve as a counterexample that demonstrates your claim to be false.
    so, you believe taking part to an uscf tournament is gambling?
  15. Joined
    27 Feb '02
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 22:25
    It depends on what you mean by gambling-- the word has two meanings. The broader one is any game that you play for money. But I think more commonly the term is used to refer to games with an element of chance or uncertainty-- something outside the control of the players. Chess would qualify under the first definition but not the second.

Once chess was frequently played with dice (for example, you might roll a die that would tell you which piece to move). I believe that one of the reasons the dice fell out of favor was an attempt to avoid ecclesiastical laws against gambling.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree