1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 10:192 edits
    Remember D P Singh? He was the guy who, having reached a peak of about 2200 at the age of thirty, suddenly started playing like a Grandmaster, winning tournament after tournament and earning the IM title.

Well, it seems that his talent has left him again, as he has now fallen below 2300:
    http://ratings.fide.com/id.phtml?event=5007780

Here's a picture of him in his oh-so-brief prime:
    http://www.chessbase.com/news/2007/dpsingh02.jpg

I wonder if there will ever come a time when hats are banned in over-the-board chess?

Other chess cheats:

Umakant Sharma - a good friend and "training partner" of D P Singh, but he was caught. Banned from chess tournaments in India for ten years.

Alexandru Crisan - a rich Romanian chess player who bribed poorer players to lose to him. He eventually became a Grandmaster and was in the top fifty for a while.

Zurab Azmaiparashvili - A very strong player and official in FIDE. He wasn't good enough to be one of the World's elite, so submitted details of a fictitious tournament in Macedonia, thus gaining himself 50 ELO points and propelling him into top twenty!

Can anyone think of any other cheating scandals in chess? I'm sure that throwing games must happen all the time. I once entered a tournament in Hungary and in the last round my opponent, who was an IM, offered to lose to me for the princely sum of £10. I refused so he opened 1.a4 and 2.h4 and won in about thirty moves!
  2. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 10:23
    I once agreed a draw with somebody before the game and we were going to play a bit of a joke opening before making the agreement - but he decided to start losing pieces for comedy value so I didnt accept the draw and went on to beat him.
  3. Hollow earth
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 10:361 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Remember D P Singh? He was the guy who, having reached a peak of about 2200 at the age of thirty, suddenly started playing like a Grandmaster, winning tournament after tournament and earning the IM title.

Well, it seems that his talent has left him again, as he has now fallen below 2300:
    http://ratings.fide.com/id.phtml?event=5007780

Here's a picture e princely sum of £10. I refused so he opened 1.a4 and 2.h4 and won in about thirty moves!
    Never heard of Singh.How did he cheat?Carried fritz under his hat?
    Gotta love Azmaiparashvili.Faking a complete tournament!?Ha!Brilliant! 🙄😛
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 10:41
    I remember reading that Tony Miles had a pre-arranged draw with a fellow player once. They were just going through the motions, playing an innocuous game, when suddenly the other player walked into a brilliancy - Miles had a fantastic move with his knight which would win immediately. Miles laughed, picked up the knight, gave it a little polish and put it back where it came from. Then he played a different move and agreed a draw a few moves later.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 10:46
    Originally posted by Katastroof
    Never heard of Singh.How did he cheat?Carried fritz under his hat?
    Gotta love Azmaiparashvili.Faking a complete tournament!?Ha!Brilliant! 🙄😛
    Well here is the story of how his friend and fellow cap wearer was caught:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umakant_Sharma
  6. Hollow earth
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 11:02
    Well here is the story of how his friend and fellow cap wearer was caught:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umakant_Sharma
    "Officials first became suspicious after Umakant began the year with an average rating of 1933, and in 64 games gained over 500 points to give him a rating of 2484."

From 1900+ to almost 2500 in 64 games?!Did he want to get caught?What an idiot 😞
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 11:04
    I remember reading that Tony Miles had a pre-arranged draw with a fellow player once. They were just going through the motions, playing an innocuous game, when suddenly the other player walked into a brilliancy - Miles had a fantastic move with his knight which would win immediately. Miles laughed, picked up the knight, gave it a little polish and put it back where it came from. Then he played a different move and agreed a draw a few moves later.
    Chess Review (August 1949, page 225) New York 1927 Tournament Director Norbert Lederer commented:

"In fairness to Capa, it should be noted that he had already secured first prize since he had a three and a half point lead with only three games to play; these were against Alekhine, Nimzowitsch and Vidmar. Capa announced that, in order not to appear favoring one of the three, who were all in the running for second or third prize, he would play for a draw against each of them, and he so informed me as tournament director. Needless to say, I did not relish this attitude, but there was little I could do about it. During his game with Capablanca, Nimzowitsch indulged in some fancy play and found himself with a practically lost position. Capa then not only asked me to warn his opponent, but actually had to dictate the next four or five moves which Nimzowitsch played with great reluctance as he suspected a double-cross. However, he did follow instructions and a draw was reached four moves later."

[Event "New York"]
    [Site "New York"]
    [Date "1927.??.??"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "19"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]
    [White "Jose Raul Capablanca"]
    [Black "Aron Nimzowitsch"]
    [ECO "E16"]
    [WhiteElo "?"]
    [BlackElo "?"]
    [PlyCount "46"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 e6 3. c4 b6 4. g3 Bb7 5. Bg2 Bb4+ 6. Bd2
    Bxd2+ 7. Qxd2 O-O 8. Nc3 Ne4 9. Nxe4 Bxe4 10. O-O d6 11. Ne1
    Bxg2 12. Nxg2 Nd7 13. e4 e5 14. Ne3 Nf6 15. f3 c5 16. dxe5
    dxe5 17. Rad1 Qxd2 18. Rxd2 Rfd8 19. Rfd1 Rxd2 20. Rxd2 g6
    21. Kf2 Kf8 22. Nd5 Rd8 23. Ke3 Nxd5+ 1/2-1/2
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 11:311 edit
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I once agreed a draw with somebody before the game and we were going to play a bit of a joke opening before making the agreement - but he decided to start losing pieces for comedy value so I didnt accept the draw and went on to beat him.
    I wouldn't congratulate for your win, that looks like a stab in the back.
  9. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 11:33
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    This is bad...
  10. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 11:372 edits

still strong, he is about 2300 on his real strength...

"Can anyone think of any other cheating scandals in chess? I'm sure that throwing ...[text shortened]... ed 1.a4 and 2.h4 and won in about thirty moves!"

Uff, this makes me sad....shame on him!!!!!
  11. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 11:56
    Claude Bloodgood was a ratings manipulator who I think achieved the #2 in US with USCF 2702 in the 90's simply by playing in prison tourni's!

Vladimir Afromeev has manipulated the FIDE ratings in a more serious way, getting to over 2600 by organising FIDE rated tournaments himself.

Ed Trice claims to have a FIDE rating of 2277 in 2007
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1493593
    But upon searching on the USCF site, I can only find 2 Ed Trice's (a rare name) and their ratings are 1690 & 1393 😕
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 13:58
    The obsession with cheating continues. I was surprised on this occasion you did not volunteer the services of No1Murderer with his copy of Fritz to run analysis on the suspect games and proclaim his opinion.
  13. Hollow earth
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 14:07
    Why don't you quit being obsessed with people's obsessions?Instead buy some obsession and go out to meet some cute boys.
  14. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 15:04

Zurab Azmaiparashvili - A very strong player and official in FIDE. He wasn't good enough to be one of the World's elite, so submitted details of a fictitious tournament in Macedonia, thus gaining himself 50 ELO points and propelling him into top twenty!
    Azmaiparashvili also once went to play a move... realised it would lose immediately so replaced his piece on its square and moved another one.

He went on to win the tournament - the Euopean Individual Championship IIRC - although I'm not sure about the game itself. i think he won it too though.
  15. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 15:06
    Christiansen was it? (the opponent I mean).

Anway - amusing kicker to this story.... Anand sees the game in Informator - a quick draw - and decides to try the line out with Black without any more thought.

His opponent can't believe his luck and of course plays the killer move - Anand has to resign on move 6.

:-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree