Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jul '12 16:21
    http://nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/obama-jobs-report-is-a-step-in-the-right-direction--20120706

With just 80,000 jobs added in June while the unemployment rate held steady at 8.2 percent, the latest report from the Labor Department suggests that the economy is recovering at a slower rate than many experts anticipated. But Obama said in a speech in Ohio that the numbers are “a step in the right direction.”

“We've been steady and we've worked hard," he said, waiting until about ten minutes into the speech to mention the jobs numbers. "We had to make adjustments and deal with some disappointments but we came back stronger and we came back tougher. And that’s what America and that’s what Ohio’s been doing.”

I don't like to be harsh on President Obama. I think he's a good guy who's doing his best. But in this he sounds just downright deluded. 80k jobs is a disaster. You need well more than that to avoid negative job growth. And this is several months in a row now.

Is President Obama punch-drunk or doozy with heat fatigue? A "step in the right direction"? "we came back stronger and we came back tougher"?? WTF??

Have we lowered the bar so much that a lousy jobs report is somehow good now?

Lemme guess? It's still all Bush's fault. Right?

Triple the budget deficits and we still can't to a damn thing to get the economy going.

Time to pay the Piper, Mr. President.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmRgaKfWMPA
  2. 06 Jul '12 16:27
    Well, "the economy is doing poorly but re-elect me anyway" doesn't quite have the same punch as "Change".
  3. 06 Jul '12 17:03
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/obama-jobs-report-is-a-step-in-the-right-direction--20120706

[quote]With just 80,000 jobs added in June while the unemployment rate held steady at 8.2 percent, the latest report from the Labor Department suggests that the economy is recovering at a slower rate than many experts anticipated. But Obama sa ...[text shortened]... ime to pay the Piper, Mr. President.

What can the president do on his own to create the jobs you are looking for?

Last time I checked Romney's proposals don't actually do anything to solve that deficit problem - despite the lip service he gives to it on the campaign trail.
  4. 06 Jul '12 19:35
    The problem is that the big banks are not lending enough to small businesses. Geithner is either an idiot or a liar.
    Obama is better off saying nothing. After all, he took Geithner's advice when others told him to punish the big banks for failure and greed.
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    06 Jul '12 20:02

[quote]With just 80,000 jobs added in June while the unemployment rate held steady at 8.2 percent, the latest report from the Labor Department suggests that the economy is recovering at a slower rate than many experts anticipated. But Obama sa ...[text shortened]... ime to pay the Piper, Mr. President.

I heard him deliver that "step in the right direction" line today and laughed out loud. The dude just doesn't seem to care whether his rhetoric has any relation to reality. Our President is a joke.
  6. Subscriber sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jul '12 20:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

Last time I checked Romney's proposals don't actually do anything to solve that deficit problem - despite the lip service he gives to it on the campaign trail.
    It's not my job to sit here and convince you of ideas that will create jobs. It's the president's job to (with his staff) think of and implement them. If he wants to throw up his hands and say he can't do it, fine. No hard feelings. Just step aside and let someone else try.

But if you're going to triple the deficit and preside over a lackluster recovery, then you're not doing the job.

About Romney, all I know is...

If I were choosing a Constitutional Law professor in law school, I'd choose Obama.

If I were choosing a CEO for my new corporation, I'd choose Romney.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the key in determine who I am going to vote for. The candidates are pretty much the same on national security and I don't worry much about social issues. To quote a great former President of the United States, It's the economy, stupid.*

* not you
  7. 06 Jul '12 21:05 / 2 edits
    It's not my job to sit here and convince you of ideas that will create jobs. It's the president's job to (with his staff) think of and implement them. If he wants to throw up his hands and say he can't do it, fine. No hard feelings. Just step aside and let someone else try.

But if you're going to triple the deficit and preside over a lackluster recovery, the ormer President of the United States, It's the economy, stupid.*

* not you
    It's not my job to sit here and convince you of ideas that will create jobs.

Did I say it was?

I'm suggesting that I frankly think congress has a lot more power with that respect than the president. I also don't think the President can do much with his ideas or policies without congress.

I thought you might actually have a view on that, but hey.. don't bother responding if you don't have anything to say about the question asked..

If I were choosing a CEO for my new corporation, I'd choose Romney.

You didn't mention anyone who would be good as a president though. I don't see how being a CEO for a corporation is at all analogous. The goal of a CEO is essentially to maximize profit for the corporation - that is surely not the goal of a president.
  8. Standard member no1marauder
    Caustic/Disagreeable
    06 Jul '12 21:46

But if you're going to triple the deficit and preside over a lackluster recovery, the ...[text shortened]... ormer President of the United States, It's the economy, stupid.*

* not you
    Given the stated economic platform of Romney, a vote for him is a vote for GWB #2 but on a grander scale. Huge tax cuts for the rich, defense spending increases, back to unregulation of the banks, etc. etc. etc. If you were a shareholder in a corporation would you vote for a new CEO who promised to return to the same policies that had almost wrecked the company in the first place?
  9. 06 Jul '12 22:01
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Given the stated economic platform of Romney, a vote for him is a vote for GWB #2 but on a grander scale. Huge tax cuts for the rich, defense spending increases, back to unregulation of the banks, etc. etc. etc. If you were a shareholder in a corporation would you vote for a new CEO who promised to return to the same policies that had almost wrecked the company in the first place?
    If you were a shareholder, you might want a realistic choice of more than two possible CEOs...
  10. 07 Jul '12 01:52

This is all clearly the fault of the Tea Party. Why if it were not for those radical nut cases throwing fits about government spending President Obama could have spent another $30 trillion and saved another 30 jobs or so.
  11. 07 Jul '12 02:03
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Remember that the next time a Republican is in office.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    Calmness Itself
    07 Jul '12 05:23
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Remember that the next time a Republican is in office.
    Interesting glib retort, but my strong impression is that PsychoPawn has always been pretty consistent and non-partisan when it comes to apportioning blame and congratulations where they are realistically due. Were there any particular PsychoPawn posts you had in mind? Your "Remember that the next time a Republican is in office" sounds cheap and rings false. Which PsychoPawn posts about Obama and Bush do you have in mind?
  13. Standard member skipper2666
    Why so serious ????
    07 Jul '12 09:11

You're all missing the point again and again in different threads.

There is an adjustment going on by big businesses, politicians and the mega rich..... they are circling the wagons and hoarding the money and stores. Create crisis and you create fear, create fear and you can impose what is deemed necessary to get through a crisis.......it's simple but effective.
    When they control most of the journalistic outlets then the information given helps to control opinion, control opinion and you have a populace willing to endure.

You will all endure and keep posting on all of these differing threads, make no mistake.... no matter who wins power they are all pulling in the same direction with the same plan.
  14. Standard member no1marauder
    Caustic/Disagreeable
    07 Jul '12 10:42
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    If you were a shareholder, you might want a realistic choice of more than two possible CEOs...
    Usually shareholders don't even get the choice of two possible CEOs, but I was running with Sh's analogy.
  15. 07 Jul '12 14:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Something tells me that they would prefer "W" over Obama, why I don't know. Like with "W", the thinking is that no one could be as worse as who we have now......yet they always manage to become worse.