1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '16 17:561 edit
    Legalizes marijuana under state law, for use by adults 21 or older. Imposes state taxes on sales and cultivation. Provides for industry licensing and establishes standards for marijuana products. Allows local regulation and taxation. Fiscal Impact: Additional tax revenues ranging from high hundreds of millions of dollars to over $1 billion annually, mostly dedicated to specific purposes. Reduced criminal justice costs of tens of millions of dollars annually.

The above is the official ballot summary of proposition 64 on the CA ballot. It is an initiative, meaning a vote of the citizens that bypasses any need for legislative action. It establishes a much wordier statute.

The opposition includes the California Highway Patrol Offficers Assn., on the basis that there is no available roadside test for DUI-marijuana, hospital and health care organizations, on the basis of health and exposure of minors to advertising, etc. There is already a statute legalizing medical marijuana under a doctor's care, that permits growing of small quantities.

Bringing regulation to the marijuana industry would help stem a growing environmental problem in areas of the state where marijuana is grown, for example the control of pesticides and associated runoff into streams and rivers.

How should I vote?
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Oct '16 18:06
    Originally posted by JS357
    Legalizes marijuana under state law, for use by adults 21 or older. Imposes state taxes on sales and cultivation. Provides for industry licensing and establishes standards for marijuana products. Allows local regulation and taxation. Fiscal Impact: Additional tax revenues ranging from high hundreds of millions of dollars to over $1 billion annually, mostly ded ...[text shortened]... e the control of pesticides and associated runoff into streams and rivers.

How should I vote?
    Anything that takes away revenue from the out of control police and court system is automatically a good thing.
    This so-called drug war is a blight on the country; the sooner we abandon it, the better.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '16 18:12
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Anything that takes away revenue from the out of control police and court system is automatically a good thing.
    This so-called drug war is a blight on the country; the sooner we abandon it, the better.
    Thanks

PS there are links to pro/cons at

http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/en/propositions/64/
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 00:13
    Vote YES because FREEDOM
  5. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 00:343 edits
    A few states are testing new potalyzer.
    Ca is one. It can tell if you recently used a THC product. Hopefully it will make it to the workplace also. That way they can't fire you for, say, smoking a joint a few days ago. The war on drugs is a farce. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/22/marijuana-breath-test-pot-dui_n_4143264.html > http://www.naturalnews.com/055667_marijuana_legalization_breathalyzers_checkpoints.html
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 01:50
    With a looming Trump/Hillary Presidency, society is in desperate need of more drugs.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 07:22
    Legalizes marijuana under state law, for use by adults 21 or older. Imposes state taxes on sales and cultivation. Provides for industry licensing and establishes standards for marijuana products. Allows local regulation and taxation. Fiscal Impact: Additional tax revenues ranging from high hundreds of millions of dollars to over $1 billion annually, mostly ded ...[text shortened]... e the control of pesticides and associated runoff into streams and rivers.

How should I vote?
    Interesting.

Arizona has their own Prop. 205 on the ballot with a similar intent. I suspect ours will go down in flames, there's been a near-constant running of commercials against this, citing the "horror" of what Colorado is going through with their law. It's been heavily denounced as something "Arizona and Arizona's children do not need".

Prop. 205 actually levies a 15% tax on "all marijuana and marijuana products". I'm guessing this is a state tax and local governments are probably free to tax it to death themselves as well.

For a political party who claims that taxes and regulation kills business, they're sure stuffing this one with enough taxes and regulations to make it unwieldy and unmanageable, as well as encouraging local governments to add their own layer of regulation to it if it passes.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 11:37
    .....on the basis of health and exposure of minors to advertising, etc.
    They should put strict limits on advertising. Here in Africa, several countries I know have strict limits on advertising for alcohol or tobacco.
    Also encourage studies on the harmful effects and advertise those effects as has been done with tobacco but not with alcohol.

How should I vote?
    I think there is good argument to be made that legalising drugs is overall a good thing. The 'war on drugs' tends to harm specific groups and encourage criminal activity while not really stopping drug use.

What California does need to do is look seriously into water use for marijuana as currently its growth is negatively affecting the water in the state.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 12:53
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    They should put strict limits on advertising. Here in Africa, several countries I know have strict limits on advertising for alcohol or tobacco.
    Also encourage studies on the harmful effects and advertise those effects as has been done with tobacco but not with alcohol.

[b]How should I vote?

I think there is good argument to be made that legalisi ...[text shortened]... water use for marijuana as currently its growth is negatively affecting the water in the state.[/b]
    Or, just take back the water that Nestlé has been stealing from the state.
    Problem solved!
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 15:511 edit
    Thanks all, I'm voting for the prop 64 initiative. This may prompt our lazy state legislature to get off its collective butt and do some actual legislating on the matter concerning advertising, quality assurance, etc.

And if it doesn't win, the system is rigged!
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 15:57
    Thanks all, I'm voting for the prop 64 initiative. This may prompt our lazy state legislature to get off its collective butt and do some actual legislating on the matter concerning advertising, quality assurance, etc.

Like the fabulous furry freak brothers said 'It ain't a free country if a man can't smoke what he chooses'. Or a woman!
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 16:17

Far out dude.

Surfs up.
  13. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Oct '16 22:49
    I'm voting for it mostly because I'm freaking bored with the whole marijuana debate. Legalize it already. Take the gangsters out of it. Tax it. Regulated it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree