1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 01:17
    http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/02/here_comes_the_cashless_society_.html

We all know this is inevitable, but is it just around the corner?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 15:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/02/here_comes_the_cashless_society_.html

Hilarious.
    How much money do you hide under your bed?

The article is completely confusing using cash in day to day commerce with using cash as a means to hoard wealth.

The reality is that only a very few people actually keep most of their wealth in cash - and those are typically the very poor.

Here in SA the middle class is already largely a cashless society. I use a little cash for convenience sake but the vast majority of my transactions do not involve cash.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 15:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Hilarious.

The article is completely confusing using cash in day to day commerce with using cash as a means to hoard wealth.

The reality is that only a very few people actually keep most of their wealth in cash - and those are typically the very poor.

Here in SA the middle class is already largely a cas ...[text shortened]... a little cash for convenience sake but the vast majority of my transactions do not involve cash.
    So you refute the notion that governments around the world desire a cashless society?

Think of the increased revenue. No more cheating on taxes, no more laundering money, no more having to print money, all transactions can be traced, etc.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 15:162 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Hilarious.

Here in SA the middle class is already largely a cas ...[text shortened]... a little cash for convenience sake but the vast majority of my transactions do not involve cash.
    So you refute the notion that governments around the world desire a cashless society?

Think of the increased revenue. No more cheating on taxes, no more laundering money, no more having to print money, all transactions can be traced, etc.

Those who oppose it will be deemed right winged extremists who oppose "progress" and being frugal.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 15:37
    I honestly have no idea what governments around the world want with regards to a cashless society.

Most cheating on taxes does not involve cash.
    Not having to print money does seem like a good idea.
    Tracing all transactions? Good luck with that. Its not as easy as it sounds. Having said that, South Africa has very strict rules about money going in and out of the country, and I really don't think cash helps anyone avoid those rules. I guess there may be some criminals shipping containers full of cash abroad, but I rather doubt it.

I'll ask you again, since you seem to have ignored the question:
    how much money do you hide under your bed in cash?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 15:43
    Those who oppose it will be deemed right winged extremists who oppose "progress" and being frugal.
    No, they would probably be deemed criminals because that is what most of them will be.
    But of course there is no need to force it down anyone's throats. Most societies are already largely cashless and the trend will only continue.
    The next step will probably be shops having different queues for cash or card. Currently they sometimes do that when the card machine isn't working. In future they will do that so that they don't need to have so many cash drawers.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 15:481 edit
    It is already the case that there are legal limits to how much cash you can carry across country borders. In the US, if you carry a lot of cash with you in your car, a policeman can stop you and confiscate it for no reason.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/10/16/why-police-can-legally-seize-your-cash/

A scam worth 2.5 billion. I don't think the police are going to be in favour of a cashless society.
    http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2015/7/28/civil-forfeiture-new-mexico-conviction-money-property.html
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 16:491 edit

It should be, I almost never carry cash, a debit card is usually all I need. Even tradesmen, etc that do repairwork at my lavish all-white gated community home have a portable debit card machine nowadays.
    I pay the Mexican gardener in cash but that's only a few times a year for landscaping.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 17:04

Digital transactions are easier and more efficient than cash transactions, so we will likely see the former increasing further in favour of the latter (I hardly use cash myself).

However, the notion that the government is about to "ban" the use of cash sounds like your typical ludicrous paranoia. I did read a news story recently about how the use of high-value banknotes might be discontinued at some point in the future as these notes are used primarily by criminals.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 19:20
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    It should be, I almost never carry cash, a debit card is usually all I need. Even tradesmen, etc that do repairwork at my lavish all-white gated community home have a portable debit card machine nowadays.
    I pay the Mexican gardener in cash but that's only a few times a year for landscaping.
    I've done work in those gated white communities. Are you in a trailer home? Some of them are glorified trailer parks.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 19:55

You got it. It is all about ultimate control.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 19:57
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I've done work in those gated white communities. Are you in a trailer home? Some of them are glorified trailer parks.
    I live in an un-glorified trailer park. Anything wrong with that?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 20:04
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I live in an un-glorified trailer park. Anything wrong with that?
    Nope!
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 20:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Nope!
    So I would conclude those "glorified" parks are OK as well. Just one choice of many we have in a free society. I find mine to be far superior to those canned senior citizen buildings the government tries to herd us into.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 02:27

NZ is pretty much cashless.
    Everyone carries an EFTPOS card which can be used at even the smallest of retail outlets.
    Even visiting tradesmen just swipe your card through their mobile EFTPOS machines.
    I never carry cash on me and only have up to $10 in car for parking meters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree