1. Germany
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 17:38
    Originally posted by Eladar
    In some states there are laws about common law marriages which would kick in for religious marriages.

In any case, that does not really have anything to do with my position that the government should not be involved in personal relationships. Government should stay out of everyone's bedrooms and homes.
    One does not need to have a "relationship" to get married, nor does one need to get married to have a relationship.

Why don't you just admit that you don't want gays to get married because you hate gays? Are you that ashamed of your own opinions?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 17:53
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    One does not need to have a "relationship" to get married, nor does one need to get married to have a relationship.

Why don't you just admit that you don't want gays to get married because you hate gays? Are you that ashamed of your own opinions?
    I'm not arguing about marriage. I'm arguing about special benefits given to one group over another. The government needs to stay out of all personal relationships and treat all relationships equally.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 17:56
    In some states there are laws about common law marriages which would kick in for religious marriages.

In any case, that does not really have anything to do with my position that the government should not be involved in personal relationships. Government should stay out of everyone's bedrooms and homes.
    Only 9 States still allow "common law" marriages to be entered into these days.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage_in_the_United_States

The concept is antiquated and should be abolished.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 17:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Only 9 States still allow "common law" marriages to be entered into these days.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage_in_the_United_States

Way to ignore my actual point and try to ignore it by responding to another statement in the post.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 18:27
    I'm not arguing about marriage. I'm arguing about special benefits given to one group over another. The government needs to stay out of all personal relationships and treat all relationships equally.
    You can have a "relationship" with 50 people, your dog and a box of thumbtacks. The government doesn't care.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '15 18:30
    You can have a "relationship" with 50 people, your dog and a box of thumbtacks. The government doesn't care.
    The government should not treat any relationship between consenting adults any differently.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 10:441 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder

Lost of things should be abolished, like the government stealing from social security.

But as we all know, some things will never change no matter how much hope and change is thrown our way.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 10:45
    The government should not treat any relationship between consenting adults any differently.
    The gay lobby has thrown a good deal of money at Washington to get where they are. If groups of polygamists wish to do the same then perhaps they can get married someday as well.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 22:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    The gay lobby has thrown a good deal of money at Washington to get where they are. If groups of polygamists wish to do the same then perhaps they can get married someday as well.
    People want their cake and eat it too.

If we are going to redefine society where the government stays out of our bedrooms (do away with Sodomy laws and such) as well as treating everyone equally, then I say get government out of our personal lives and treat everyone equally.

I suppose that's asking too much.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 11:39
    People want their cake and eat it too.

If we are going to redefine society where the government stays out of our bedrooms (do away with Sodomy laws and such) as well as treating everyone equally, then I say get government out of our personal lives and treat everyone equally.

I suppose that's asking too much.
    I gather you are an exponent of 'less government'
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 11:48

Yep, just like the Clintons. 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree