1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 04:041 edit
    Why is it that the media seems preoccupied with the cost of the wall when they have not seem to in the past been too concerned about the cost of amnesty and continued illegal immigration?

Which cost more?
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 04:225 edits
    The wall will cost 20 billion just build, and then millions just to maintain. This is insane when considering that we can't even be sure how well it will work, if at all. This could be a colossal waste of money.

If it turns out the wall costs more than it's worth to keep, we then have to spend billions just to remove the wall.
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 04:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why is it that the media seems preoccupied with the cost of the wall when they have not seem to in the past been too concerned about the cost of amnesty and continued illegal immigration?

Which cost more?
    Roughly 113 billion a yr. Federal, state and local.Wall 20 bilion. Build that mfer.
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 05:45
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    Roughly 113 billion a yr. Federal, state and local.Wall 20 bilion. Build that mfer.
    So they build the wall and deport all illegals and the collapse of agribusiness and the service industries is prevented by......?

To claim that the status quo of illegality is anything more than a fig leaf to protect business and ensure very low wages, is to sear your conscience in the face of incontrovertible truth.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 07:401 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    If it turns out the wall costs more than it's worth to keep, we then have to spend billions just to remove the wall.
    No so. It would never be necessary to remove the wall. It may cost money to maintain, but if it is decided that isn't worth it, then it can be just left to decay. The great wall of China still has parts of it around. Much of it was removed for free by people wanting building materials.
  6. RSA
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 08:47
    The wall will cost 20 billion just build, and then millions just to maintain. This is insane when considering that we can't even be sure how well it will work, if at all. This could be a colossal waste of money.

Walls can't be built on water. Immigrants can swim around the wall, or walk 20 metres into the sea and walk around it still.

20 billions dollar s for something that won't even stop immigrants
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 09:26
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    Walls can't be built on water. Immigrants can swim around the wall, or walk 20 metres into the sea and walk around it still.

20 billions dollar s for something that won't even stop immigrants
    Actually, I believe that the vast majority of immigrants just go through the official border check points.
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 10:44

Which cost more?
    I guess the part about Mexico paying for the wall is being slowly swept under the rug.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 11:14
    Originally posted by mchill
    I guess the part about Mexico paying for the wall is being slowly swept under the rug.
    Swept under the foundations...
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 14:012 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No so. It would never be necessary to remove the wall. It may cost money to maintain, but if it is decided that isn't worth it, then it can be just left to decay. The great wall of China still has parts of it around. Much of it was removed for free by people wanting building materials.
    I'd imagine there would be environmental concerns from a decaying wall that's 2,000 miles long (and close to the ocean); especially given the modern industrial materials that will be used to make the wall that wasn't used to make China's.

We would most certainly have to pay yo remove it, should the maintenance cost prove to be more than the wall is worth.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 14:041 edit

Walls generally work by erecting them, thus providing a physical impediment to travel.

But I could be wrong.

So the wall is projected to cost about $20 billion, but the Heritage Foundation has said it is costing the US taxpayer double that amount every year due to continued illegal immigration.

1. There are approximately 3.7 million unlawful immigrant households in the U.S. These households impose a net fiscal burden of around $54.5 billion per year.

2. Amnesty for unlawful immigrants can pose large fiscal costs for U.S. taxpayers including public education, welfare benefits, and other benefits and services.

3. Policymakers must ensure that the interaction of welfare and other financial transfer programs with immigration does not expand the fiscally dependent population.

I know, I know, we can't trust anything that the Heritage Foundation says cuz they are conservatives. But it is OK to trust CNN cuz they are neutral when it comes to politics.. Gotcha!! Thanks for that. If anyone else printed this, assuming it was true, they would get fired and called a bigot and hatemonger.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 15:391 edit
    Walls generally work by erecting them, thus providing a physical impediment to travel.

But I could be wrong.

So the wall is projected to cost about $20 billion, but the Heritage Foundation has said it is costing the US taxpayer double that amount every year due to continued illegal immigration.

1. There are approximately 3.7 million unlawful immig ...[text shortened]... else printed this, assuming it was true, they would get fired and called a bigot and hatemonger.
    Your stats don't support a 20 billion dollar wall in any way. The vast majority of immigrants are comming in through normal U.S. border checkpoints.

Building a wall only appeals to ignorant Fox News viewers, who are shown random shots of Mexicans looking both ways, who then tip-toe across some land. They've somehow swallowed the belief that this is how immigrants are bringing children, grandmothers and all their belongings into the U.S.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 15:482 edits
    "Oh, the U.S. built a ridiculously expensive wall that will cost millions just to maintain? I guess I'll have to use the legal border checkpoint, just like I already fcking planned."
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 16:04

Which cost more?
    How much did the Berlin Wall cost? Seemed worth it to the Russians. Not so much to the people living in East Berlin.

And now Americans are so stupid they are begging Trump to build it here.

I'd say get out while you still can.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 16:101 edit

Which cost more?
    You do understand that the net movement of people is currently OUT of the US, yes?

And what is this about the cost of amnesty? Are you just stupid?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree