1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 17:47
    Originally posted by vivify
    I'd agree, except for the fact that Trump promised to "drain the swamp" only to pass an executive order deregulating Wall Street...because his "friends" can't "borrow money". This means, clearly, Trump is an establishment type; this also means, by your own definition of "establishment type", that Trump is "bought and controlled".
    When did I say he wasn't.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 17:56
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I do. I have a job.
    Do you pay the full premium yourself?
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 18:031 edit
    When did I say he wasn't.
    I didn't say you did; my point, is that you can't use the "all politicians are bought" argument as a defense of Republican actions. The previous president clearly wasn't an "establishment type", and that administration passed a lot of legislation (such as environmental laws and Dodd-Frank) that pissed off corporations who don't give a flying fck about about populist concerns; and that was with a minority presence in Congress.

"All politicians are bought" is a poor excuse. Republicans deserve nothing but criticism and derision here. They, unlike the Dems before them, can't pass a healthcare bill, even with full control of Congress, because they are the whores of two brothers.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 18:41
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Do you pay the full premium yourself?
    You are asking if part of my agreement to work includes paying for my insurance as part of my compensation package? In other words, I accept less money in salary so that I can have my insurance paid?

Yes

Of course I do pay for my kids' insurance. I don't get a very good package.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 18:42
    I didn't say you did; my point, is that you can't use the "all politicians are bought" argument as a defense of Republican actions. The previous president clearly wasn't an "establishment type", and that administration passed a lot of legislation (such as environmental laws and Dodd-Frank) that pissed off corporations who don't give a flying fck about about ...[text shortened]... ealthcare bill, even with full control of Congress, because they are the whores of two brothers.
    When did I say it was a defense for Republicans?
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 18:501 edit
    You are asking if part of my agreement to work includes paying for my insurance as part of my compensation package? In other words, I accept less money in salary so that I can have my insurance paid?

Yes

Of course I do pay for my kids' insurance. I don't get a very good package.
    Your insurance premium is tax-free and your employer gets a write-off.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 19:47
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Your insurance premium is tax-free and your employer gets a write-off.
    They should make that the law of the land for all people. All premiums should be tax free for all people.

I see nothing wrong with that.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 23:151 edit
    They should make that the law of the land for all people. All premiums should be tax free for all people.

I see nothing wrong with that.
    Your premiums are actually income that isn't being taxed. You are receiving a government subsidy.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 23:59
    When did I say it was a defense for Republicans?
    When I called Reps whores, and you dutifully used the "everyone's bad" defense.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 21:18
    When I called Reps whores, and you dutifully used the "everyone's bad" defense.
    When is the truth a defense. I was just calling you a hypocrite for ignoring the fact that Dems are whores too.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 22:121 edit
    When is the truth a defense. I was just calling you a hypocrite for ignoring the fact that Dems are whores too.
    And I explained why you don't get to use the "Dems are bad too" defense.

Dems aren't in the pocket of Big Business like Reps are; that's why they are constantly passing legislation that benefits the people and pisses off corporations (Dodd Frank, environmental rules blocking them from dumping anywhere they want, etc). Obamacare pissed off insurance companies because their profits were affected.

See the difference? Dems passed legislation in spite of Big Business' objections. Reps won't pass legislation if Big Business does object. This is because Dems are not in the pocket of Big Business in like Reps are.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 22:23
    And I explained why you don't get to use the "Dems are bad too" defense.

Dems aren't in the pocket of Big Business like Reps are; that's why they are constantly passing legislation that benefits the people and pisses off corporations (Dodd Frank, environmental rules blocking them from dumping anywhere they want, etc). Obamacare pissed off insurance compa ...[text shortened]... iness does object. This is because Dems are not in the pocket of Big Business in like Reps are.
    If Democrats are not in the pickets of businessmen, then why did Obamacare turn to insurance companies? Not one Republican voted for Obamacare.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 22:52
    If Democrats are not in the pickets of businessmen, then why did Obamacare turn to insurance companies? Not one Republican voted for Obamacare.
    What do you mean by "turn to insurance companies"?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 23:18
    What do you mean by "turn to insurance companies"?
    What is Obamacare if it isn't the government funding of insurance companies and attemt to force every American citizen to buy Insurance from private companies?
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 23:231 edit
    What is Obamacare if it isn't the government funding of insurance companies and attemt to force every American citizen to buy Insurance from private companies?
    You're trying to imply that Obamacare favors insurance companies, right? That's a false argument, given that many companies have claimed to lose money under the ACA (due to having to cover sicker people).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree