1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 16:042 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Whether it's a thing or not I an uncertain.

That you don't have the first clue whether it's a thing - of that I'm certain.
    Most if not all tax attorneys would advise their clients not to release to the public, tax returns that are under IRS audit. That is beyond dispute. But it is still the client's decision to make. The factors involved in that decision, especially for a candidate who is running for POTUS, go beyond the reasons usually invoked by tax lawyers.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13687015/1/would-no-tax-lawyer-advise-trump-release-his-tax-returns-it-s-complicated.html

However, it remains the client's decision whether to open the returns to public scrutiny. Presuming a rational actor, the client will weigh the benefits and risks to his interests, of the two alternatives, and either open, or not open the returns.

It is obvious that, if Trump is being rational, he thinks his interests will be harmed, not helped, by releasing his returns. These interests could include business interests, political interests, legal interests, or other interests.

And/or there could be less rational interests, like not wanting to be treated like just another candidate for POTUS. He's special.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 22:06
    Whether it's a thing or not I an uncertain.

That you don't have the first clue whether it's a thing - of that I'm certain.
    It's apparently not a thing that, if it exists, has been followed by any Democratic or Republican candidate for President since 1980.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 22:191 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 22:253 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 23:45
    Like Trump's performance in the debate, your inability to comprehend or process the distinction between a legal impediment and the desirability to listen to legal advice is disappointing, yet not surprising.
    can you get it through your skull that there is no law preventing the trump from releasing his tax returns? can you understand that a lawyer may advise the trump from releasing his tax returns because something in them might not sit well with the public, which is the whole reason why they ask politicians to release them in the first place?

you admit you have no idea what you're talking about but you insist others are to blame for not understanding your ignorance. that's pretty damn funny
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 23:49
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    can you get it through your skull that there is no law preventing the trump from releasing his tax returns? can you understand that a lawyer may advise the trump from releasing his tax returns because something in them might not sit well with the public, which is the whole reason why they ask politicians to release them in the first place?

you admit yo ...[text shortened]... ut you insist others are to blame for not understanding your ignorance. that's pretty damn funny
    Is there a law that says he must release his tax returns?
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 08:41
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Is there a law that says he must release his tax returns?
    nope.

that's not the point. it is a piece of information that the americans have the right to ignore or not.

not releasing it however makes people wonder just what is he hiding.
    will it prove that his demagoguery that he is for the working people is just that when we see he constantly dodges taxes?
    will it prove he is not the billionaire he claims he is?
    will it prove he buys puppy and kitten skin shoes?

what is obvious is that he thinks that releasing his tax returns will hurt his image more than the wild speculation on why he is not releasing will

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree