1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 21:112 edits
    I found this, and found it very disturbing. Thought y'all might appreciate a little animal rights activism this afternoon.

Baby Cakes by Neil Gaiman

A few years back all of the animals went away.

We woke up one morning, and they just weren't there anymore. They didn't even leave us a note, or say goodbye. We never figured out quite where they'd gone.

We missed them.

Some of us thought that the world had ended, but it hadn't. There just weren't any more animals. No cats or rabbits, no dogs or whales, no fish in the seas, no birds in the skies.

We were all alone.

We didn't know what to do.

We wandered around lost, for a time, and then someone pointed out that just because we didn't have animals anymore, that was no reason to change our lives. No reason to change our diets or to cease testing products that might cause us harm.

After all, there were still babies.

Babies can't talk. They can hardly move. A baby is not a rational, thinking creature.

And we used them.

Some of them we ate. Baby flesh is tender and succulent.

We flayed their skin and decorated ourselves in it. Baby leather is soft and comfortable.

Some of them we tested.

We taped open their eyes, dripped detergents and shampoos in, a drop at a time.

We scarred them and scalded them. We burn them. We clamped them and planted electrodes into their brains. We grafted, and we froze and we irradiated.

The babies breathed our smoke, and the babies’ veins flowed with our medicines and drugs, until the stopped breathing or their blood ceased to flow.

It was hard, of course, but necessary.

No one could deny that.

With the Animals gone, what else could we do?

Some people complained, of course. But then, they always do.

And everything went back to normal.

Only...

Yesterday, all the babies were gone.

We don't know where they went. We didn't even see them go.

We don't know what we're going to do without them.

But we'll think of something. Humans are smart. It's what makes us superior to the animals and the babies.

We'll figure something out.
  2. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 21:15
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    I found this, and found it very disturbing. Thought y'all might appreciate a little animal rights activism this afternoon.

We woke up one morning, and they just weren't there anymore. They didn't even leave us a note, or say goodbye. We never figured out quite where ...[text shortened]... es us superior to the animals and the babies.

Kudos, my friend. Or are you simply luring us in?
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 21:48

We woke up one morning, and they just weren't there anymore. They didn't even leave us a note, or say goodbye. We never figured out quite where ...[text shortened]... es us superior to the animals and the babies.

This is going up on the wall of my hypothetical vegan coffee shop.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 02:12

I wonder if neil's daughter was drawing under his desk as usual when he wrote that.
  5. Playing with matches
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 02:46
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I wonder if neil's daughter was drawing under his desk as usual when he wrote that.
    I imagine he was trepanning her skull at the time.
  6. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 02:53
    trepanning
    Think I'll skip the lookup this time.
  7. Playing with matches
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 03:04
    Originally posted by SJ247
    Think I'll skip the lookup this time.
    Ignorant heathen. Trepanning is a centuries old medical practice involving drilling, cutting or scrapping a hole in the skull.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 03:06
    hhmmm tasty bloody veil.
  9. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 03:32
    Ignorant heathen. Trepanning is a centuries old medical practice involving drilling, cutting or scrapping a hole in the skull.
    And what malady was this technique believed to cure? Or have you been hanging out in the medieval torture device sites again?
  10. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 03:52
    I think it was to let more creativity and inspirational ideas and all that stuff flow into the skull more easily.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 04:09
    Originally posted by SJ247
    And what malady was this technique believed to cure? Or have you been hanging out in the medieval torture device sites again?
    demon possession.

it's way older than historical time though, maybe even the oldest trick in the... um, well there wasn't any books yet. but reeally old.

the vict... I mean patients, got better too. as was evident from grown new bone in the opening.

so apparently it worked. yay science!
  12. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 07:56
    animals > shampoo
    animals <<<<<<<< science

when animals are gone we could choose to only test stuff on people who need money and want to do it, babies cry to much.
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 09:411 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberNatsia
    Lippy Brat
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 10:28
    Originally posted by wormwood
    demon possession.

it's way older than historical time though, maybe even the oldest trick in the... um, well there wasn't any books yet. but reeally old.

the vict... I mean patients, got better too. as was evident from grown new bone in the opening.

so apparently it worked. yay science!
    Also used as a cure for mental illness, headaches, epilepsy and a number of other weird things.
  15. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 12:13
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    thats a good idea, i hope that in the future we can geneticly modify DNA and create babys without the vocal cord in vitro🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree