great show
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Feb '16 03:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    [youtube]teQwViKMnxw[/youtube]
    An amazing synthesis of Beethoven's composition with the symmetrical and asymmetrical movement of these "100 drones".
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Feb '16 17:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    An amazing synthesis of Beethoven's composition with the symmetrical and asymmetrical movement of these "100 drones".
    This kind of thing is only the beginning I think. For one thing, the reason the show was so short time wise was because the flight times of the drones are measured in minutes since there is a considerable amount of energy expended and batteries are still not that great at storing large amounts of energy. In ten years that may be different but till then flight times will be limited to ten minutes or so max.

There is another kind of energy system, fuel cells powered by hydrogen that can also be light weight but have ten times the energy stored but they are in development for now.

I was looking at those drones and envisioning an energy transfer from microwave beams to each of the drones, that could work but it would be pretty expensive and would waste a lot of energy but that technique of sending energy through beams of microwaves or lasers is possible and is being pursued by NASA as a way to power spacecraft into orbit or beyond.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Feb '16 21:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    This kind of thing is only the beginning I think. For one thing, the reason the show was so short time wise was because the flight times of the drones are measured in minutes since there is a considerable amount of energy expended and batteries are still not that great at storing large amounts of energy. In ten years that may be different but till then flig ...[text shortened]... sers is possible and is being pursued by NASA as a way to power spacecraft into orbit or beyond.
    Amazing. Given your own considerable professional qualifications, have you considered contacting "NASA"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree