1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '17 20:16
    Star Trek - Beyond.

Watched it for a second time tonight after being very underwhelmed first time; I found it to be quite good this time around.

Suzianne, I know you are an aficionado of the genre; what's your thoughts?

Others interested..?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 01:20
    what channel is it on???
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 03:59
    The ST franchise has re-invented itself several times already. However, the Abrams-version ST franchise has diverged significantly from what fans of the original series sometimes call the canon. The destruction of Vulcan, in particular, rendered a number of the original series episodes impossible, and some fans of the original series don't go along with that.

I accept that the franchise had to start appealing to a younger audience if it was going to bring in revenue, and that the previous attempt to invent wholly new characters (the Scott Bacula tv series) flopped. So the producers split the difference, and the result is a mixed bag for many of the first-generation fans.

I myself view the Abrams films as good sci-fi action yarns, only coincidentally populated by figures with the names "Kirk" "Spock" and "McCoy". Of course, if the characters had been called anything else, I'd have said it was a blatant rip-off.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 08:46
    Originally posted by moonbus
    The destruction of Vulcan, in particular, rendered a number of the original series episodes impossible, and some fans of the original series don't go along with that.
    Aren't they in a different time-line now? So the original episodes are still valid?

I'm a big fan of the original series but not the spin offs. I like this new movie series though.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 08:46
    Originally posted by rookie54
    what channel is it on???
    Do you have a TV in your cave? 😛
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 18:36
    i have a tv,
    a blu-ray player to connect to the internet,
    but, so far,
    refuse to pay for broadcast content...

capt cheep
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 16:571 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Aren't they in a different time-line now? So the original episodes are still valid?

I'm a big fan of the original series but not the spin offs. I like this new movie series though.
    Yes, it's the 'alternate facts' time-line thing on the big screen now. I thought Abrams very cleverly worked alternate-Khan into one of the recent Chris Pine / Zachary Quinto films; and Uhura-Spock doomed romance is now substituted for Nurse Chapel-Spock doomed romance, which works better than I would have expected.

I agree, the spin-offs were a mixed bag. Captain Archer was a dipstick and his Vulcan sidekick with the impossibly tight-fitting body suit was too obviously a rip-off of Seven-of-Nine from Voyager.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 17:39
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Yes, it's the 'alternate facts' time-line thing on the big screen now. I thought Abrams very cleverly worked alternate-Khan into one of the recent Chris Pine / Zachary Quinto films; and Uhura-Spock doomed romance is now substituted for Nurse Chapel-Spock doomed romance, which works better than I would have expected.

I agree, the spin-offs were a mixed bag ...[text shortened]... he impossibly tight-fitting body suit was too obviously a rip-off of Seven-of-Nine from Voyager.
    Ah, Seven-of-Nine.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 06:45
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Ah, Seven-of-Nine.
    She rescued that show from an early and ignominious death.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 12:53
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Star Trek - Beyond.

Watched it for a second time tonight after being very underwhelmed first time; I found it to be quite good this time around.

Suzianne, I know you are an aficionado of the genre; what's your thoughts?

Others interested..?
    I saw the full list of characters and found Jeff Bezos is in it! "Starfleet official'
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 19:561 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I saw the full list of characters and found Jeff Bezos is in it! "Starfleet official'
    Amazing.

Reveal Hidden Content
    ... he won't get it, he won't get it, he won't get it...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree