1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 14:26
    http://www.sciencealert.com/a-man-dissolved-in-acid-after-trying-to-hot-pot-in-yellowstone-national-park

PH of 3.5 water at 250 degrees F. Let's see if I can swim here.....
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 14:351 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.sciencealert.com/a-man-dissolved-in-acid-after-trying-to-hot-pot-in-yellowstone-national-park

PH of 3.5? why is that? 120 Celsius I can understand why that's deadly, was he thinking that it was gonna be like a hot tub?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 14:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    PH of 3.5? why is that? 120 Celsius I can understand why that's deadly, was he thinking that it was gonna be like a hot tub?
    It's at 3.5 because it is right over a volcanic cauldren with nasty chemicals oozing into the water and it's 120 C because there is so much contamination it can be over the normal boiling point of water at 100 C. That is 250 F.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 15:12
    Any one who goes skinny dipping in a volcano deserves what they get.

Just say'in.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 15:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    Any one who goes skinny dipping in a volcano deserves what they get.

Just say'in.
    At 23 he might be eligible for the Darwin award. He may have removed his genes from the gene pool before he reproduced.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 15:311 edit
    It's no different than people going out to surf during hurricanes cuz the surf is up.

Shrug, I just don't feel bad if they disappear forever.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 18:321 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's no different than people going out to surf during hurricanes cuz the surf is up.

Shrug, I just don't feel bad if they disappear forever.
    I was thinking maybe that's what happened to Jimmy Hoffa. I mean, you don't even have to take off their clothes, they get dissolved with the rest of him, metals included.
  8. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 19:08
    pH 3.5 is acidic but not very much. And skin should be able to withstand lower pH values (stomach acid).
    It must have been the heat that did it for him in the first place.
  9. RSA
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 19:22

I don't want to sound cruel but this is natural selection. PH 3.5 is the same as ketchup, just saying. I doubt it would dissolve anyone. It has to be lower.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 19:59
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    I don't want to sound cruel but this is natural selection. PH 3.5 is the same as ketchup, just saying. I doubt it would dissolve anyone. It has to be lower.
    Don't forget the deal about a chemical reaction going up I think double for every 10 degrees C up in temperature so lets say the ketchup was at say 20 C and then go up to 120, that would be 10 doublings which clocks in at 1024 times the reactivity at room temperature. A thousand times more reactive, plus the fact it is super boiling hot water which will take your skin off even at Ph 7.
  11. RSA
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 20:11
    Don't forget the deal about a chemical reaction going up I think double for every 10 degrees C up in temperature so lets say the ketchup was at say 20 C and then go up to 120, that would be 10 doublings which clocks in at 1024 times the reactivity at room temperature. A thousand times more reactive, plus the fact it is super boiling hot water which will take your skin off even at Ph 7.
    Oh rate of reaction? I didn't know temperature affected the rate of acid reactions.. but I suppose it increases rates of every reaction
  12. RSA
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 20:12
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    Oh rate of reaction? I didn't know temperature affected the rate of acid reactions.. but I suppose it increases rates of every reaction
    Does le chatelier's principle apply for temperature in acid?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 20:58
    He slipped. In fact he intended only to boil a hot dog...
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 21:001 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    pH 3.5 is acidic but not very much. And skin should be able to withstand lower pH values (stomach acid).
    It must have been the heat that did it for him in the first place.
    I was more interested in which elements in the water could be acidifying it? sulphates perhaps?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 21:02
    Who knows what "genius" floats through this guy's mind? He probably voted for Trump.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree