1. RSA
    Moves
    18 Nov '16 21:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I was more interested in which elements in the water could be acidifying it? sulphates perhaps?
    Probably sulphur gas
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 14:18
    From what I read, it is hydogen sulfide, (Rotten egg gas) metabolized by cyanobacteria to sulphuric acid. The pools have extremophiles that like 120 degrees C.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 14:24
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    He slipped. In fact he intended only to boil a hot dog...
    And hr remembered I forgot mustard
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 18:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    From what I read, it is hydogen sulfide, (Rotten egg gas) metabolized by cyanobacteria to sulphuric acid. The pools have extremophiles that like 120 degrees C.
    Yellowstone National Park, USA in 4K (Ultra HD if your browser and graphics card can handle it!)

YouTube
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 19:041 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    pH 3.5 is acidic but not very much. And skin should be able to withstand lower pH values (stomach acid).
    It must have been the heat that did it for him in the first place.
    I puked on the floor and then passed out in the puddle once.

The skin that was in contact with the puke was burned and peeled off.

The digestive system has lots of protective substances which allow it to be able to handle that acid.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 11:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I puked on the floor and then passed out in the puddle once.

The skin that was in contact with the puke was burned and peeled off.

The digestive system has lots of protective substances which allow it to be able to handle that acid.
    When I first got in the USAF, I had a buddy who had a bit of a drinking problem, we were in barracks maybe 50 to a building and all we had to sleep on were these skinny beds which has a mattress that has a full cover like a huge pillow case. So in comes Sam after a night of boozing, crawls into his bunk and didn't know he had inadvertenly crawled under the mattress cover and was a bit trapped there like being inside a sleeping bag with out the zipper, locked in place.

Well naturally he pukes inside the cover and passed out. Then in the morning we hear this gagging sound, moaning as such, I'm stuck in here, help🙂 So we had to help him out of that bag and he got immediately into the shower to clean up and the mattress and cover was thrown out and he had to get a new on rec'd to him. He was only slighty embarrassed🙂
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '16 04:47
    There's a movie 'gone into the wild' about an American guy who went to live on the land, ended up eating poisonous plants and dying a slow death, was based on a true story. Sometimes, myself included, people think they can do things they really shouldn't. I broke a small bone in my foot and got completely lost going off trail in Ecuador, $hit happens to the adventurers.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 03:56
    Originally posted by Trev33
    There's a movie 'gone into the wild' about an American guy who went to live on the land, ended up eating poisonous plants and dying a slow death, was based on a true story. Sometimes, myself included, people think they can do things they really shouldn't. I broke a small bone in my foot and got completely lost going off trail in Ecuador, $hit happens to the adventurers.
    What about that dude who was rock climbing, forget where exactly, but he fell in a crevice and his leg was so stuck he had to literally cut it off or maybe it was his arm, but he cut it off very slowly and painfully, I remember him saying it was down to his nerve bundle and cutting through that with a pocket knife was the most painful thing he ever endured.
    I shudder to think of ever getting in that situation.

One time back when I was in the USAF a LONG time ago, in Lincoln Nebraska (there was an AF base there at one time) anyway, I was driving my old tank, something like a 1948 buick or some such and was driving around this farmers field and I found this watering lake, maybe 300 feet across or so and I started driving down to it, only to find out it was very muddy and my car was slipping downhill into the water....

So I pulled out my physics and knew if I could go in a more or less straight line centrifugal force would get me back uphill out of the mud and that is what happened, I think I circled the dam thing 3 times before I could get enough velocity up to get uphill far enough to get out of the slippery mud🙂 Kind of like escaping from a planet in a space ship. I learned never to pull THAT stunt again🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree