3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 20:55
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Gambia joins the civilized world

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34921135
    good news indeed, but bad habits die hard...
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 23:41
    Gambia joins the civilized world

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34921135
    Apart from Egypt The Gambia is the only African country I have visited. I was lucky
    enough to be there when the Miss Africa contest was being staged at my hotel. The
    Gambian women are stunningly attractive and I think any one of our waitresses could have won!
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    26 Nov '15 01:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Nov '15 01:55
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Me, too.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Nov '15 02:05
    Maybe other countries can learn something from the great German school turnaround?

http://tinyurl.com/qcyoucg

"It took Germany just over a decade to improve test scores and reduce inequality. Their education overhaul is a lesson in structure, monitoring and philosophy".
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Nov '15 07:14
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    good news indeed, but bad habits die hard...
    Yes, and old prejudices even harder.
  9. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    26 Nov '15 08:02
    Unfortunately those traditions are brought and maintained in other countries. We know they happen here too but they are very difficult to stop.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Nov '15 08:59
    Originally posted by lolof
    Unfortunately those traditions are brought and maintained in other countries. We know they happen here too but they are very difficult to stop.
    Making the practice illegal may merely drive it underground. But it signals a willingness to confront the issue, which is a start at least.
  11. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    26 Nov '15 09:032 edits
    Making the practice illegal may merely drive it underground. But it signals a willingness to confront the issue, which is a start at least.
    A first step to protect young girls from this horrible tradition. It is illegal here of course, but I suppose it is only discovered when women come to hospital for check-ups or give birth, and very often their husbands are present too.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Nov '15 10:27
    Originally posted by lolof
    A first step to protect young girls from this horrible tradition. It is illegal here of course, but I suppose it is only discovered when women come to hospital for check-ups or give birth, and very often their husbands are present too.
    The bizarre thing about the practice is that mothers have midwives come and perform it on their own daughters. There will have to be a persistent and wide-spread program of consciousness raising, not just a new law; women in such countries need to be educated to not want and seek FGM anymore. And the men, of course, will have to start thinking differently about what marital fidelity is based on (if not physical incapacity for infidelity). The hard work is yet to come for those people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree