1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    04 Oct '15 16:36

Wow. Looks like we’ve got a troll trying to attack people on this site, derail
    meaningful dialog and control our conversation. I suggest that this forum
    doesn’t give them that power by ignoring their unproductive comments
    and continuing our discussion, or even take a moment to create a guideline
    for how we want to deal with trolls.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Oct '15 19:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    I would only delete posts that were alerted as being in clear contravention of the TOS, and only if egregiously so. I have long experience of activity on several of these forums. I am not a trigger-happy 'delete it! delete it!' type member of the community. I would not be swayed by my personal opinion regarding material that has been alerted. I would always have ...[text shortened]... satisfaction in a happy boisterous set of forums and in intervening as infrequently as possible.
    And if I were an admin, I'd turn down your application simply because you seem to be "campaigning" for the job. You seem to want it pretty badly, and that can't bode well, for anyone. Not to mention that, since Russ hasn't issued a "call for mods" that I would assume there's no need for more of them. And yet, you can't wait to "get in there" and "get your hands dirty".

I'll say this now, perfectly in the selfish spirit of this thread, and say that if you are made a mod, then I will leave this site and not return. It's been bad enough fighting in these threads with unscrupulous people. Having them made mods will just be the final measure of fun being sucked right out of these threads. I hope Russ can see such a move as counter-productive to his trying to make a living out of this site.

It might even take a few years, but this is the beginning of the end. People have already called this site as boring as it gets. They ain't seen nothing yet. I hope you like it when there's no one here but two or three of your hand-picked friends who can still stand you.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '15 19:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And if I were an admin, I'd turn down your application simply because you seem to be "campaigning" for the job. You seem to want it pretty badly, and that can't bode well, for anyone. Not to mention that, since Russ hasn't issued a "call for mods" that I would assume there's no need for more of them. And yet, you can't wait to "get in there" and "get your hands dirty".

I'll say this now, perfectly in the selfish spirit of this thread, and say that if you are made a mod, then I will leave this site and not return. It's been bad enough fighting in these threads with unscrupulous people. Having them made mods will just be the final measure of fun being sucked right out of these threads. I hope Russ can see such a move as counter-productive to his trying to make a living out of this site.

It might even take a few years, but this is the beginning of the end. People have already called this site as boring as it gets. They ain't seen nothing yet. I hope you like it when there's no one here but two or three of your hand-picked friends who can still stand you.

So I can't count on your support in my campaign to be selected as a Mod?
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Oct '15 20:00
    Originally posted by FMF

So I can't count on your support in my campaign to be selected as a Mod?[/b]
    Mods are so 1960's.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 14:54
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Mods are so 1960's.
    May I ask in what ways?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 15:00
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    May I ask in what ways?
    Mods and Rockers. UK, 1960s. And also the late 1970s when there was a bit of a ska and teddy boy music revival.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 15:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    Mods and Rockers. UK, 1960s. And also the late 1970s when there was a bit of a ska and teddy boy music revival.
    Bobby boy was no teddy boy.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 19:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why don't you offer to help Russ out by becoming a moderator?
    Who said Russ needs the help? Oh yeah, someone who got pissy because the mods didn't do what she wanted, when she wanted it? Did Russ ask for help?

You're like the little kid with a Napoleon complex and a crush on the teacher jumping up volunteering to clean erasers after school, before she even asks.
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 21:07
    Who said Russ needs the help? Oh yeah, someone who got pissy because the mods didn't do [b]what she wanted, when she wanted it? Did Russ ask for help?

You're like the little kid with a Napoleon complex and a crush on the teacher jumping up volunteering to clean erasers after school, before she even asks.[/b]
    How do you know the teacher was female?
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 21:45
    Originally posted by Kegge
    How do you know the teacher was female?
    Very spot on comment, particularly given the circumstances.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 00:32
    Who said Russ needs the help? Oh yeah, someone who got pissy because the mods didn't do what she wanted, when she wanted it? Did Russ ask for help?
    Russ didn't start this thread, if that's what you mean. This thread was started so there could be a discussion about the perceived lack of moderators for the forums. I get the impression that you're in the things-are-OK-as-they-are camp.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 00:37
    You're like the little kid with a Napoleon complex and a crush on the teacher jumping up volunteering to clean erasers after school, before she even asks.
    When I start mentioning "Russ" several times a week, and keep referring to him as 'the sole proprietor of the web site since 2001' for no particular apparent reason, and citing him as an "authority" figure, and start a thread trying to collate ideas for changes to the web site, and offering to speak to him on 'everybody's' behalf, then you should start to worry. You're jumping the gun a bit, I think.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 09:44
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    May I ask in what ways?
    Never seen Quadrophenia, have you?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 18:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Russ didn't start this thread, if that's what you mean. This thread was started so there could be a discussion about the perceived lack of moderators for the forums. I get the impression that you're in the things-are-OK-as-they-are camp.
    No, that's not what I mean, as if you didn't know. This thread was started because someone didn't get their way. Moderators are supposed to be invisible, until they're needed, and even then, they don't make what they do public knowledge, unless the situation requires that. She thought they were here to serve her.

You get lots of "impressions" about people that are usually wrong. That's why many here are simply not comfortable with you being given more control, especially since you seem so eager to get that control. That's all.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 18:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    When I start mentioning "Russ" several times a week, and keep referring to him as 'the sole proprietor of the web site since 2001' for no particular apparent reason, and citing him as an "authority" figure, and start a thread trying to collate ideas for changes to the web site, and offering to speak to him on 'everybody's' behalf, then you should start to worry. You're jumping the gun a bit, I think.
    More passive-agressive barbs about GB. You really should try just saying what you mean, but you're worried how that might make you look to others. Not your most redeeming feature.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree