1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '17 13:471 edit
    Mel Gibson said something interesting before the Oscars. He said that being nominated is what it's all about, it's the recognition, it's the big deal, more than winning is. A selection of movies, all trying to tell different stories in different ways, recognized for what they've achieved and the standards they have set.

Winning, by comparison is a rather arbitrary outcome of a contest between apples and oranges and other fruit like bananas and plums...

For his sound recordist, for example, his 20 nominations says much more about him and his art than his one win.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '17 13:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    Mel Gibson said something interesting before the Oscars. He said that being nominated is what it's all about, it's the recognition, it's the big deal, more than winning is. A selection of movies, all trying to tell different stories in different ways, recognized for what they've achieved and the standards they have set.

Winning, by comparison is a rather arb ...[text shortened]... ecordist, for example, his 20 nominations says much more about him and his art than his one win.
    A win in the bag is worth 3 nominations in the envelope.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Feb '17 15:52
    I have to admit that I expected the next TRUMP incident...
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 04:19
    Originally posted by divegeester
    A win in the bag is worth 3 nominations in the envelope.
    Nominations come in envelopes?

I thought the wins came in envelopes, not 'bags'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree