1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 16:44
    I am just being watching an old episode of "Hercule Poirot" on TV, and - thanks to so-called Zeitgeist that is spirit of the age - almost everyone is smoking there, I can barely see the actors, and I felt urge to open the terrace door.
  2. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 17:38
    People used to get passive cancer.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 00:13
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    I am just being watching an old episode of "Hercule Poirot" on TV, and - thanks to so-called Zeitgeist that is spirit of the age - almost everyone is smoking there, I can barely see the actors, and I felt urge to open the terrace door.
    I like to watch "Twilight Zone" off Netflix. Lots of smokers in those old ones from the early 60s.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 08:26
    Mad Men. Booze as well.

There was a student drinking game: Drink-a-long-a-Dallas. Every time J.R.Ewing or one of the others poured a drink, two fingers of liquor were to be gunned. I think that Drink-a-long-a-Mad-Men would have been too tall an order.
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Feb '16 07:26
    So "normality" is a quite flexible concept 🙂 It depends a lot on culture.
  6. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 09:27
    I am really happy that restaurants are smoke free our days. It is so much more enjoyable to actually taste the food.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 11:194 edits
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I am really happy that restaurants are smoke free our days. It is so much more enjoyable to actually taste the food.
    Smoke free is great, the next issue to tackle is the stupid stupid soundtracks that passes for music in those restaurants and about 30 DB too loud.

I have asked managers to turn down the sound and a lot of them reply 'oh, corporate sets the kind of music and the volume, I have no choice in this and besides, most people LIKE it that way'.

NOW I judge the quality of a restaurant by how quiet it is besides getting good service and decent food and smoke free.

When there is loud musac going, I can't think about what I want to order and the same thing happens to me in regular stores also. Some groceries have the sound track blaring to the extent I just want to leave.

I think it is all deliberate for the express purpose of cutting off the thinking ability of people so they make buying decisions they would never make if they were in a quiet environment.

One example from 1 week ago: A hardware store called 'Northern Freight', I go in and am thinking about some tool or other, what size is it, what price range and the like is what I am concentrating on. But the 'background' music is so loud, I mean exceptionally loud, I literally cannot think. A complaint to the manager and he was actually MIFFED I would dare to even bring up such an antisocial issue. He said, and I quote "Most people LIKE it'.

What is it about modern society that makes corporate think any business MUST sound like a disco?

I won't be going back to Northern Freight any time soon.

It also seems sending letters or emails or phone calls is met with deaf ears.

Anyone else here have that problem or am I just a lonely outlier?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree