1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 13:44
    I hadn't been home for a couple of days, work out of state.

So last night, I get home and log on to my home pc.

Windows comes up, 'preparing desktop'. Wait, wait, wait.

Finally get my desktop.

It seems the day I was gone, MS being ever so helpful decided to do an update to my comp without even asking for permission.

So apparently that required a reboot.

So I get home, log in, preparing desktop.

When I finally get my desktop, ALL my personal files are gone, no email, no internet, no photos and no music files which I had composed and transfered to the desktop, needing the original WAV files for pro use and also each one in MP3 for upload to Soundcloud or whatever.

I calls a support line, MS would gladly fix it for 200 bucks.

Called an online bunch, 110 bucks and the first person who checked out the comp was flummixed, could'nt figure it out. So they transfered me to some windows expert and after an hour of HIM troubleshooting finally found out when the 'update' was done, it made a temporary login account using my name and pw. So that part looked identical to my ordinary login page.

So finding that, he found my original log in and BOING, everything was back.

I know, Crowley will chime in with you idiot, anyone knows that.

Funny it took some windows guru's two hours to figure it out too.

I also expect the usual, get Ubuntu and dump Windows.

But that is what I have for this comp. I plan to do just that but not on the family machine.

It is clear MS sucks but I am stuck with it for now.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 14:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse

I also expect the usual, get Ubuntu and dump Windows.
    Linux seems to be the preferred choice of computer geeks. Honestly, if it wasn't for ActiveDirectory, Microsoft would FAR less popular businesses. There is a GUI for Linux, but if you plan to make the switch, you'd better get a good grasp of command lines. The Linux GUI isn't really isn't as effective as using command prompts.

Microsoft did the same exact thing to my computer a few days ago; I'm guessing millions of users have experienced the same thing.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 14:52
    work out of state
    😲
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 15:02
    Originally posted by Seitse
    😲
    I get screwed by MS and your only comment is I work out of state, ha ha ha? Of course, your usual MO, nothing to really contribute to any of these conversations going on here just disruptive pseudo shock jock high school crap. I guess you really loved being 15.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 15:12
    I get screwed by MS and your only comment is I work out of state, ha ha ha? Of course, your usual MO, nothing to really contribute to any of these conversations going on here just disruptive pseudo shock jock high school crap. I guess you really loved being 15.
    I hated 15; 17 was way better...
    and I was thinking the same thing.

"Out of state," HA!
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 15:351 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Linux seems to be the preferred choice of computer geeks. Honestly, if it wasn't for ActiveDirectory, Microsoft would FAR less popular businesses. There is a GUI for Linux, but if you plan to make the switch, you'd better get a good grasp of command lines. The Linux GUI isn't really isn't as effective as using command prompts.

Microsoft did the same e ...[text shortened]... g to my computer a few days ago; I'm guessing millions of users have experienced the same thing.
    There's a fair bit of media noise about Windows 10 being force-fed to consumers.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 15:46
    Originally posted by divegeester
    There's a fair bit of media noise about Windows 10 being force-fed to consumers.
    This wasn't even win 10, it was an update to win 7.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 15:53
    I hadn't been home for a couple of days, work out of state.

So last night, I get home and log on to my home pc.

Windows comes up, 'preparing desktop'. Wait, wait, wait.

Finally get my desktop.

It seems the day I was gone, MS being ever so helpful decided to do an update to my comp without even asking for permission.

So apparently that requir ...[text shortened]... just that but not on the family machine.

It is clear MS sucks but I am stuck with it for now.
    you are not stuck, download a version of linux (Ubuntu, Mint etc) burn the image file to a cd, stick it in your cd drawer and reboot. You can try the software before deciding to install it.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 16:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you are not stuck, download a version of linux (Ubuntu, Mint etc) burn the image file to a cd, stick it in your cd drawer and reboot. You can try the software before deciding to install it.
    Nah, what I intend to do is use another box only for linux, that way there is no contamination from windows at all and then the search would be on for WAV file compatible upload/download apps that I can use to for instance, add to my balance at Soundcloud. BTW, have you listened to much of my tunes there? I put in 5 or 6 songs Susan sang also, onstage and at home recording.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree