1. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 20:30
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Kewpie is a friend.
    Bwahahahah, pathetic in the original sense of the word!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 02:34
    Originally posted by rookie54
    wait wait wait, stop and back up...
    i know my eyes are olde, but,
    didn't you post earlier that you didn't "do" stringed instruments???

easy now, you know i love you...
    The term 'stringed instruments' usually refers to an instrument with naturally enough, strings but plucked with fingers or picks or like a harp, with fingers plucking strings directly as in guitar, or bowed as in fiddle, cello, double bass and so forth.

Piano is a stringed instrument but the strings themselves are not usually touched by human fingers. That is actually not always the case.

My friend George Winston is a famous pianist and in some of his compositions hits the strings of the piano with fingers on one hand while the other hand plays normal notes with keyboard, interesting effects. He also uses hands on the strings inside to dampen them and create a different sound that way also.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 03:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Bwahahahah, pathetic in the original sense of the word!
    As in pathos? 😕
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 04:38
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As in pathos? 😕
    Path operating system?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 06:59
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I am the non-musical one in my family. Talentless, actually, so forgive if this
    question is silly: why is piano not considered a string instrument? I mean, when
    you hit the key a little hammer type of thing touches a string.
    Here is what Wikipedia says about this:

"Keyboard instruments do not fit easily into this scheme. For example, the piano has strings, but they are struck by hammers, so it is not clear whether it should be classified as a string instrument or a percussion instrument. For this reason, keyboard instruments are often regarded as inhabiting a category of their own, including all instruments played by a keyboard, whether they have struck strings (like the piano), plucked strings (like the harpsichord) or no strings at all (like the celesta)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_instrument_classification

So the ancient Greek system of "winds, strings and percussion" must give way to a more modern "winds, strings, percussion and keyboards".

By the way, if you're wondering what a celesta is, it is like a piano, having a keyboard, except the hammers strike a graduated set of metal (usually steel) plates suspended over wooden resonators. One of the best-known works that uses the celesta is Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" from The Nutcracker.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 07:031 edit
    Originally posted by rookie54
    wait wait wait, stop and back up...
    i know my eyes are olde, but,
    didn't you post earlier that you didn't "do" stringed instruments???

easy now, you know i love you...
    Basically, that's "old school".

"New school" calls it a 'keyboard instrument'.

Besides, my electronic piano is not a 'stringed instrument' at all, but it IS still a 'keyboard instrument'.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Sep '16 17:531 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Basically, that's "old school".

"New school" calls it a 'keyboard instrument'.

Besides, my electronic piano is not a 'stringed instrument' at all, but it IS still a 'keyboard instrument'.
    Whadya got? Casio? I hope you have something better🙂
    I got a really good deal on a great keyboard, the Kurzweil PX1, 88 touch sensitive and aftertouch keys, heavy as hell though🙂

It's a great midi interface besides native sounds. Piano sounds pretty good. Very good actually.

If you went to my soundcloud link, you can hear two tracks using that keyboard, Kali's Waltz (written for my grandaughter) and a traditional Irish tune I like a lot, "Star of the County Down'', which most groups play way too fast but I learned the slow version from a former band mate, a brilliant singer and guitarist, Sylvia Herold, used to be in my band 'Southwind' back in Venice Beach. Look her up, I have one of her CD's, 'Bowl of Crystal tears' and it is one great CD. I got it at McCabes Guitar shop in Santa Monica a few years ago during a visit, a place Southwind played a half dozen times.

BTW, if you want to hear some spectacular classical guitar, look at my post in 'what are you listening to'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree