1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    27 Feb '17 14:24
    Did anyone else think that some Oscar winners must be thinking to themselves "It's because i'm black, right?" ?

Not taking anything away from them, but the kick back from #oscarsowhite is quite, quite transparent.

Or, am i wrong?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Feb '17 14:271 edit
    If you refer to 'Moonlight', it's a very good film and good actors.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Feb '17 18:20
    I care quite little about American mainstream cinema.

That said, I'm all for blacks, spics and first nations to get some love
    after being the cannon fodder of the empire for so long.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 23:491 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Did anyone else think that some Oscar winners must be thinking to themselves "It's because i'm black, right?" ?

Not taking anything away from them, but the kick back from #oscarsowhite is quite, quite transparent.

Or, am i wrong?
    Is "ethnic" the new "colored"?

Apparently, we haven't come far enough.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 23:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne

When if ever will we get to the place where an oscar or emmy or golden globe and all the rest would just be, Iesha won top honors or Billy bob won another, no mention of color by ANYONE?
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 00:506 edits

Or, am i wrong?
    Ryan Gosling won at the Golden Globes so why not at the Oscars? If anything Denzel should have won. But he has won in the past.

Also a comment on the facebook page of Moonlight someone said what if they messed up truly on purpose to never have that movie be forgotten? interesting comment for sure.

One winner said that they are the only profession on knowing what it is to life a life? Acting is fake characters.

Nominees that I saw:
    Arrival- Awesome
    Hacksaw Ridge- Great I wsh would have won.
    Hell or High Water- Good but over rated.
    La La Land- Cool for a chick flick.
    Manchester by the Sea- Slow and sad.

Yet to see:
    Fences- Redbox it and I really want to see.
    Hidden Figures- maybe I don't really like movies about NASA.
    Lion- Looks awesome can't wait to see.
    Moonlight- Not really interested.

First I want to see "Logan" and "Get out".
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 00:581 edit
    Originally posted by Torunn
    If you refer to 'Moonlight', it's a very good film and good actors.
    Was it better then Brokeback Mountain?
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 06:54
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Was it better then Brokeback Mountain?
    A matter of taste - two good films, difficult to compare. Brokeback Mountain is unforgettable, Moonlight may not be.
  9. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 07:03

I know, someone should be able to point out obvious response to protest without having to carefully choosing their words. welcome to Trump's America.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 11:04
    I know, someone should be able to point out obvious response to protest without having to carefully choosing their words. welcome to Trump's America.
    But sometimes protest is completely warranted.

And in that case, a response to it just seems, well, hateful.

Remember "Black Lives Matter" and the idiot response to it "All Lives Matter"?

Of course all lives matter, don't be stupid. The point is that for a long, long time, and maybe even now, to some extent, black lives did NOT matter to a lot of people.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 15:202 edits
    From Wikipedia.com
    Moonlight also became the first film with an all black cast, the first LGBT film and the second lowest-grossing film domestically (behind The Hurt Locker) to win the Best Picture award. The film's editor, Joi McMillon, became the first black woman to be nominated for an editing Oscar (alongside co-editor Nat Sanders) and Ali became the first Muslim to win an acting Oscar.

Interesting that this movie was made because Mormons and black community are probably the biggest ones against homosexuality especially when proposition eight came about in California. And maybe only 2.7 million people have seen this in theaters. There is less than 1% of the US population.

I also thought hurt locker was terrible. Avatar should've won that year.
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 15:253 edits

Of course all lives matter, don't be stupid. The point is that for a long, long time, and maybe even now, to some extent, black lives did NOT matter to a lot of people.
    What about the parents who forced thier boy to become a girl at the age of 4 or force their girl to become a boy at age 4. Saying that isn't hateful if you're against it, those parents should be locked up.

That is what this man says. And this man voted for Obama then voted for Trump.
    Facebook page titled outlaw Morgan he's from Florida.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1301609986600558&id=887360994692128
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 15:531 edit

This one black guy at my church in heaven I would want his mansion near mine. He's pretty cool we have the same personality, since of humor. 😉
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 18:031 edit

Or, am i wrong?
    When I took over at work, did throw out the People and US.Tossed like forty of them. Still getting laser burns from behind for that.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 19:01
    Replaced them with Time and National Geographic. And the daily paper, which I pay for. All unused, mostly, except by me. I guess I'm a dick.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree