1. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 19:03
    to the artistic sense of the successful, the "black sites". the free sites have little in the way of a forum.

so the forum must be dynamic.

the redbhotforum was once interesting ( the days of moldy crow and exspressive outburst, etc, but then moderaters or owners with their own social and political agenda began to overly moderate the forums ( my ancient history with scheming mind as "lame wolf" ).

then chess.com came along. i good site for the value that they have a social section for photos to be posted ( although the forum is not good,,,,not that it is overmoderated it is structurally so hard to find posts ).,

what is the point ?

russ' apartment must be a disaster. he needs to invite sietse over to london to remake his home. more color. more darkness. in the blackness we find our own individual color. let us find it.

an open forum, limited only by not the agenda of yourself or your moderators but only by decent english...no matter what one might say. in the Queen's English, no matter what are opinions might me.

to offer better chessboards. look at the chessboards of the successfull, chesscube and gameknot and learn from them. look not to your own frail sense of asthetics.

the price of the site need not be changed.

but, a free tournament of five days time, limited to the first thirty free members who sign up might give free members a sense of the site of why they should stay. thirty players only for a five day tournament. surely there would be two or three free players, with a better interface ( black like chesscube and gameknot ) and who experience a truly free but civil open forum, would create two or three new paying members every five days. six or twelve new members a month, each month, every month....so that the site could remain alive your yourself and for us ??
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 05:001 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    Two Relevant Questions

1) To what extent has the advent of social media displaced interest in online correspondence chess sites with public forums since the inception of Red Hot Pawn on February 21, 2001? 2) What marketing strategies and implementation tactics would you recommend for Russ to consider? Thanks.
    Definition: social media (Part of the Personal computing glossary)

"Social media is the collective of online communications channels dedicated to community-based input, interaction, content-sharing and collaboration. Websites and applications dedicated to forums, microblogging, social networking , social bookmarking, social curation, and wikis are among the different types of social media.

Here are some prominent examples of social media:

•Facebook is a popular free social networking website that allows registered users to create profiles, upload photos and video, send messages and keep in touch with friends, family and colleagues. According to statistics from the Nielsen Group, Internet users within the United States spend more time on Facebook than any other website.

•Twitter is a free microblogging service that allows registered members to broadcast short posts called tweets. Twitter members can broadcast tweets and follow other users' tweets by using multiple platforms and devices.

•Google+ (pronounced Google plus) is Google's social networking project, designed to replicate the way people interact offline more closely than is the case in other social networking services. The project’s slogan is “Real-life sharing rethought for the web.”

•Wikipedia is a free, open content online encyclopedia created through the collaborative effort of a community of users known as Wikipedians. Anyone registered on the site can create an article for publication; registration is not required to edit articles. Wikipedia was founded in January of 2001.

•LinkedIn is a social networking site designed specifically for the business community. The goal of the site is to allow registered members to establish and document networks of people they know and trust professionally.

•Reddit is a social news website and forum where stories are socially curated and promoted by site members. The site is composed of hundreds of sub-communities, known as "subreddits." Each subreddit has a specific topic such as technology, politics or music. Reddit site members, also known as, "redditors," submit content which is then voted upon by other members. The goal is to send well-regarded stories to the top of the site's main thread page.

•Pinterest is a social curation website for sharing and categorizing images found online. Pinterest requires brief descriptions but the main focus of the site is visual. Clicking on an image will take you to the original source, so, for example, if you click on a picture of a pair of shoes, you might be taken to a site where you can purchase them. An image of blueberry pancakes might take you to the recipe; a picture of a whimsical birdhouse might take you to the instructions.

Brian Solis created the following social media chart, known as the conversation prism, to categorize social sites and services into various types of social media. (See a larger image)..." http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/social-media
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 07:50
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Do you "care about the long term online market viability of Red Hot Pawn." ?
    Isn't there a forum dedicated to this topic: the Site Ideas Forum?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 07:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    Isn't there a forum dedicated to this topic: the Site Ideas Forum?
    Grampy Bobby seems to think that members here have never heard of Facebook, Twitter or linked-in.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 09:37
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Grampy Bobby seems to think that members here have never heard of Facebook, Twitter or linked-in.
    "1) To what extent has the advent of social media displaced interest in online correspondence chess sites with public forums since the inception of Red Hot Pawn on February 21, 2001?"

This thread is not about you or anyone else fixating on other people you disagree with; it is about the impact of social media on Red Hot Pawn.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 10:042 edits
    This thread is not about you or anyone else fixating on other people you disagree with;[/i] it is about the impact of social media on Red Hot Pawn.
    My comment to FMF was about social media and its impact on RHP. I was bang on topic and I was completely relevant.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 10:05
    This thread is [...] about the impact of social media on Red Hot Pawn.
    Perhaps one impact is that there are much more people now on RHP because of the unpopularity of other social media compared to years ago?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 10:05
    [b]"1) To what extent has the advent of social media displaced interest in online correspondence chess sites with public forums since the inception of Red Hot Pawn on February 21, 2001?"

This thread is not about you or anyone else fixating on other people you disagree with; it is about the impact of social media on Red Hot Pawn.[/b]
    You copy pasted a long piece of information telling people here about examples of social media. Do you think members of this forum have never heard of Facebook, Twitter and Linked-In?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 10:13
    My comment to FMF was about social media and its impact on RHP. I was bang on topic and I was completely relevant.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 10:16
    You copy pasted a long piece of information telling people here about examples of social media. Do you think members of this forum have never heard of Facebook, Twitter and Linked-In?
    Relevance: Collectively these websites compete with online correspondence chess sites with public forums for membership and daily visit activity.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 10:191 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps one impact is that there are much more people now on RHP because of the unpopularity of other social media compared to years ago?
    29 social networks that have at least one million visitors per day March 25, 2011 (Page 1)
    http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/03/25/social-networks-one-million-visitors-per-day/

How many of these "one million visitors per day" visit Red Hot Pawn?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 10:23
    How many of these "one million visitors per day" visit Red Hot Pawn?
    I don't know. Half maybe? Less? Why ~ what do you think has been the impact of the popularity of social media on the number of people using Red Hot Pawn?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 10:24
    Collectively these (social media) websites compete with online correspondence chess sites with public forums for membership and daily visit activity.
    And? Is this an "insight" you are sharing?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 11:16
    Relevance: Collectively these websites compete with online correspondence chess sites with public forums for membership and daily visit activity.
    Relevance to what? There will be no posters here who have not heard of those social media websites which are in your copy pasted post above.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 11:181 edit
    [b]Grampy Bobby seems to think that members here have never heard of Facebook, Twitter or linked-in.
    [/b]
    Have you no retort other than to repost what I said.

Do you still contest that my post was off topic?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree