1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 16:36
    Just finished Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series, one more to go.

Now starting new one, "Linesman'' by S. K. Dunstall. Sci fi.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 19:251 edit
    Genocide and Settler Society: Frontier Violence and Stolen Indigenous Children in Australian History.

Dirk Moses

A difficult subject and one which has never really been satisfactorily addressed to my knowledge
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 06:21
    This will be my next book to read:

'The Breaking Wave' by Nevil Shute

“...Like some infernal monster, still venomous in death, a war can go on killing people for a long time after it’s all over.”
  4. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 10:46
    My 50th birthday card
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 10:49
    Originally posted by ptobler
    My 50th birthday card
    congratulations on reaching that milestone
  6. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 02:05
    Thx!
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 02:14
    Another sci fi series, Linesman, S K Dunstall, finished that and now Alliance, book 2 of the series.
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 23:131 edit
    An audiobook-only 'read', Empire by Christopher Lee.

It's strange to listen to after Brexit, like hearing the history of a country that no longer exists (or at least won't for much longer when Scotland votes to leave). I had felt so proud of my country until a few days ago, in spite of my unease about the negativity and the casual racism growing up towards Muslims and other ethnic groups and the cynical manipulations by the political parties and their activists (with maybe the exception of the Lib Dems). I've never felt less British and I am likely to plan to leave permanently when I have paid all my debts and dues and got my degree.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 14:28
    Wie Adolf Hitler zum Nazi wurde: Vom unpolitischen Soldaten zum Autor von „Mein Kampf“ von Thomas Weber und Karl Heinz Siber

A highly praised work on the political development of Hitler between 1918 and 1926. As of yet I learned a few things about the post war time in München.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jul '16 12:48
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Wie Adolf Hitler zum Nazi wurde: Vom unpolitischen Soldaten zum Autor von „Mein Kampf“ von Thomas Weber und Karl Heinz Siber

A highly praised work on the political development of Hitler between 1918 and 1926. As of yet I learned a few things about the post war time in München.
    Now I am in The Scar by Chiny Miéville. A strong book (I would suggest to read Perdido Street Station first)
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Jul '16 05:47

Dannach empf. ich dir Primo Levi. Ursprungssprache Italianisch, sicher auf Deutsch erhaeltlich. Ich kenne nur die Engl. Ausgaben. Etwa: "The Drowned and the Saved," oder "If This Is A Man."

Just for your info: he survived Auschwitz, but he couldn't live with what he had lived through -- committed suicide.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Jul '16 08:51
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Dannach empf. ich dir Primo Levi. Ursprungssprache Italianisch, sicher auf Deutsch erhaeltlich. Ich kenne nur die Engl. Ausgaben. Etwa: "The Drowned and the Saved," oder "If This Is A Man."

Just for your info: he survived Auschwitz, but he couldn't live with what he had lived through -- committed suicide.
    Primo Levi steht schon im regal...
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Jul '16 08:15
    Primo Levi steht schon im regal...
    Now: Primo Levi: Das periodische System der Elemente
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Aug '16 15:56
    I will certainly read more of Primo Levi.

Now I am reading Summerland by Michael Chabon
  15. Rohan
    Moves
    08 Aug '16 18:08
    Eichmann vor Jerusalem

Bettina Stangneth

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree