1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 08:25
    What is your personal history regarding ownership and use of mobile phones?

[Thanks to Ghost of a Duke for the idea]
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 08:31
    In fact we bought our first mobile phone to be able to leave the children at home and give them an emergency number.

I still onw a "ordinary" phone without photo or anything and don't carry it with me normally. Just when I expect to be called or to call, such as Business trips I carry.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 12:02
    Originally posted by FMF

I have 4 or 5 versions of the Nokia6310i at home. One day they may be worth something.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 12:39
    Originally posted by FMF

No problem. (Good ideas fee = 12 hundred pounds).

I tend to mostly use my work mobile these days. (Can't make personal calls on it, but there are some 'grey' areas). Whenever my personal mobile rings (which never has credit) it is invariably my mother. 😳
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 13:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    First mobile phone: not until 2002. First smart phone: not until 2014. I was a late developer in these matters, I think.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 14:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    First mobile phone: not until 2002. First smart phone: not until 2014. I was a late developer in these matters, I think.
    HA! I was virtually the same, first mobile in 2001, an old Nokia which lasted about 3 years then a Sony Erickson which I had for years until it packed in around 2014 when I used an old Nokia again until I got my first smartphone also at the end of 2014. A crappy Samsung galaxy fame mini or something, which was only a stupid £7:50 per month after being half price for the first 6 months. Only had 600mb, 300 mins and 1000 texts but I really don't use it that much so was perfect. Moved from N.I. last October so gave the contract phone to my mum and bought a Galaxy core prime for €100 on pay as you go, easily the best phone I've ever had but still a million miles away from a top range phone.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 14:06
    First one in 1996, replaced twice. This one is a cheap prepaid, used for online banking security code SMS and car breakdown calls only. Hate the things, much prefer my real phone at home. No smartphone, I'm a dinosaur.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 14:11
    Originally posted by Trev33
    HA! [...] I got my first smartphone also at the end of 2014. A crappy Samsung galaxy fame mini or something, which was only a stupid £7:50 per month after being half price for the first 6 months. Only had 600mb, 300 mins and 1000 texts but I really don't use it that much so was perfect. Moved from N.I. last October so gave the contract phone to my mum and bo ...[text shortened]... u go, easily the best phone I've ever had but still a million miles away from a top range phone.
    My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S III Mini but I have a 32GB SD micro memory thing in it which I use for music, podcasts, audio books, and some TV series. I am reluctant to 'upgrade' to a phone which almost inevitably would be physically bigger and which might therefore ruin the line of my trousers.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 14:12
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    No smartphone, I'm a dinosaur.
    I've got dinosaur credentials when it comes to telephonic endeavours but I must say smart phones have certain delights to offer.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 21:31
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    First one in 1996, replaced twice. This one is a cheap prepaid, used for online banking security code SMS and car breakdown calls only. Hate the things, much prefer my real phone at home. No smartphone, I'm a dinosaur.
    "I'm a dinosaur." Welcome to the club, Kewpie.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 22:20
    I have the first one I got in 2009. A flip LG something. I use it when I go off somewhere but to be honest I forget to turn it on most of the time, which may account for the fact, that unlike my partner who charges hers twice a day, I last charged mine on January 27th and I still have 2 bars on it...No wait I still have 3 bars. I gotta text someone or take a picture. Apparently mine doesn't have a chip or whatever they're called so you can get your pics processed at the pharmacy or where ever.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 22:41
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I last charged mine on January 27th and I still have 2 bars on it...No wait I still have 3 bars.
    Gosh. Do you have like really strong electricity there in Canada?
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 22:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    Hmmm! Interesting question and one that makes me want to think it over before committing to my answer. I'll have to get back to you.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 23:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    He means signal bars 😵
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 23:10
    Originally posted by Trev33
    He means signal bars 😵
    I too obtain invisible signals-carrying power from the air but the folks on the science forum couldn't explain it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree