1. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    06 May '08 19:37
    Originally posted by uzless
    If you sneeze in your office and no one is there but people may have heard you sneeze, why do you say "excuse me"...??

Do you think by somehow saying "excuse me" you are forgiven for sneezing? Are people out there saying to themselves, "I can't believe she sneezed, but since said excuse me, well it's ok then."?????

Or is it just something people do, ...[text shortened]... lovian reaction to a sneeze....."achoo..excuse me" Is that how it works?

Explain.
    Hee Hee, sounds like one of Jerry Seinfeld's comedy routines.

GRANNY.
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 May '08 19:50
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Why do you assume people are as dumb as your co-workers?

I never say "excuse me"... but will say 'thanx' if someone offers me a bless or gesundheit.

P-

[b]Edit!
    I see Planka has already covered the assumption made.[/b]
    Holy cow, you want semantics, i'll give you semantics....

The term "you" in english has many figurative meanings in addition to several literal meanings. For those of you who don't the difference between figurative and literal meanings as they pertain to languages, stop right here. None of what follows will make any sense to you...you're probably the same people that say excuse me after you sneeze so i've already lost you anyway.

Moving along.

"You" in the case of the original post, although obvious to most non cro-magnons, was not being used in the literal sense, but rather the figurative sense. To explain, as most, er some, of you know, there is no literal translation of the singular form of "they" in English. In french, we can use the term "ILS" when we are refering to an individual even though the term "ILS" literally means more than one person. In French we can also use "ILS" figuratively to be singular when we want to say something like, "That person can do whatever the hell they want". In English, this phrase is incorrect since "they" is plural. The correct way in English is to say, "That person can do whatever the hell he or she wants."

Similar in concept (that's "conceptually speaking" for you cro-magnons that don't understand what relational concept anaylsis is) is the term, "YOU". You, when used figuratively (or non-specificly for you cro-magnons out there) refers to an unknown person; A person who matches the set of criteria depicted in the sentence if you will.
    So, if the sentence reads, "why do you say excuse me after you sneeze" the term, "you" does not refer to each individual reader of the sentence, but rather to A reader of the sentence that actually does say excuse me after he/she sneezes.

Why this difference is not obvious to palynka and phlababit is, well, sadly obvious. I hope the two of you, and any other RHP'ers who weren't paying attention during Grade 5 grammar class, can now see the error of your ways.

*ps. I've left a bunch of grammar mistakes and the odd spelling mistake in tact for you to grasp on to should you care to respond.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 May '08 20:15

The term "you" in english has many figurative meanings in addition to several literal meanings. For those of you who don't the difference between figurative and literal meanings as they pertain to languages, stop right here. None of what follows will make any sense to you...you're probably the sam ...[text shortened]... ke in tact for you to grasp on to should you care to respond.
    I'm not reading this rubbish!

i'll should be capitalized
    english also
    cro-magnons also
    french also
    for you (double space? WHY?)
    refering is not a word I recognize, 'referring'? Not sure.
    specificly is not a word I recognize, not even going to guess.
    anaylsis (what is this?)
    No need for a double space after a semicolon.
    No need for an asterisk in your post scriptum, and ps should be capitalized.

You get an F+

P-
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 May '08 20:22

english also
    cro-magnons also
    french also
    anaylsis (what is this?)

You get an F+

P-
    You shoulda read the last sentence to the post above.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 May '08 20:27
    You shoulda read the last sentence to the post above.
    I was going to mark you as pleasure to have in class, but you are showing defiance.

P-
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 May '08 20:30
    I was going to mark you as pleasure to have in class, but you are showing defiance.

P-
    Just got some great hate mail from Hand of Hecate.

Of all the BS things i've posted in the past, a simple tirade on grammar was enough to set someone off. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Hey HOH, I'll meet you at Centre Ice. Take your bucket off.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 May '08 20:47
    Just got some great hate mail from Hand of Hecate.

Of all the BS things i've posted in the past, a simple tirade on grammar was enough to set someone off. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Hey HOH, I'll meet you at Centre Ice. Take your bucket off.
    OMG! HoH never sends me hate mail anymore... consider yourself lucky!

😞

P-
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 May '08 20:501 edit

The term "you" in english has many figurative meanings in addition to several literal meanings. For those of you who don't the difference between figurative and literal meanings as they pertain to languages, stop right here. None of what follows will make any sense to you...you're probably the sam ke in tact for you to grasp on to should you care to respond.
    For all you Hand of Hecate types out there who saw this post fly right over their head, this post was intended as a parody of Bill Clinton's testimony regarding what the definition "of IS is" during the monica trials

Next time i'll remember to dumb it down.

😵
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 May '08 20:51
    If you sneeze in your office and no one is there but people may have heard you sneeze, why do you say "excuse me"...??

Do you think by somehow saying "excuse me" you are forgiven for sneezing? Are people out there saying to themselves, "I can't believe she sneezed, but since said excuse me, well it's ok then."?????

Or is it just something people do, ...[text shortened]... lovian reaction to a sneeze....."achoo..excuse me" Is that how it works?

Explain.
    When I sneeze and see my friends is all wet in his face, then I always say 'excuse me'.

An 'excuse me' shouldn't ever be sneezed at...
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 May '08 20:54
    OMG! HoH never sends me hate mail anymore... consider yourself lucky!

😞

P-
    I just read it. Pretty good.
  11. Joined
    24 Dec '07
    Moves
    06 May '08 23:15

Explain.
    I said thanks to a cash machine a couple of weeks ago...
  12. Joined
    24 Dec '07
    Moves
    06 May '08 23:33
    Originally posted by Roosty
    I said thanks to a cash machine a couple of weeks ago...
    Although, trying to steer the thread back, I didn't say "excuse me" before I rammed home my bank card
  13. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    07 May '08 03:58
    Usually when I sneeze and bits of allsorts go flying all over someone, I say, "Excuse me, can I have the crunchy bits back, please?"
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 May '08 03:59

english also
    cro-magnons also
    french also
    anaylsis (what is this?)

You get an F+

P-
    Phlab, isn't 'scriptum' an anatomical reference?

😀@slippertown.kom
  15. Joined
    25 Mar '08
    Moves
    07 May '08 04:32
    People used to say Bless You back in the day because they believed sneezes were caused by ghosts that had inhabitited the persons body and by sneezing the person's body was trying to get rid of the ghost.

By saying "Bless you" they thought this would force the ghost to leave.
    Actually its pronounced, " God, Bless you".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree