YouTube
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '16 07:26
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    [b]"It was almost always a sign of a cad..."
    Is it true?
    It was certainly a sign of a schoolboy circa 1978 if wearing their uniform correctly, along with blazer, modestly raised heels and somewhat flared trousers.

I think the last time in my life I was wearing a tie to work - a long time ago now - I used to wear a clip-on tie.
  3. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 May '16 08:09
    In 1959 it was part of a girl's high school uniform, along with a pinafore tunic and long-sleeved white shirt, hat and white gloves. In subtropical Queensland! And we couldn't even loosen the thing without a prefect or teacher descending on us ...
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '16 08:59
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    In 1959 it was part of a girl's high school uniform, along with a pinafore tunic and long-sleeved white shirt, hat and white gloves. In subtropical Queensland! And we couldn't even loosen the thing without a prefect or teacher descending on us ...
    In temperate south east England in the 70s there were certain days - not many of them, mind you - during the summer term when it would be announced that the boys could remove their blazers (although they had to be worn going to and from school), but there were never any concessions about their ties. We could never NOT wear the ties, and they had to be worn properly, not loosened.

As austere as all this may seem, I turned out pretty well, so I won't turn on those who fashioned me into the person I am today, partly through their strict governance pertaining to the use of neck ties.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree