1. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 18:04
    Does the 50 move rule apply on this site?

I have a Knight+Bishop+King V King end game and I am a bit rusty on the technique. Is it a draw if I don't finish in 50?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 18:13
    Originally posted by Jack Gable

I have a Knight+Bishop+King V King end game and I am a bit rusty on the technique. Is it a draw if I don't finish in 50?
    Yes.
  3. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 18:27
    Thanks, good answer!
  4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 21:37
    Thanks, good answer!
    Not if you need 51 to win.
  5. Earth Prime
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 00:53

it is a draw only if you or your opponent claim it after 50 moves. Otherwise you can keep trying to mate him.
  6. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '06 04:06
    Fide made an amendment to the 50 move rule in 1982, after computer analysis showed that king-bishop-bishop versus king -knight, and king-queen-pawn versus king-queen could indeed require more than 50 moves to mate.
    King-bishop-knight against bare king should be able to be accomplished in 37 moves or less, I believe, but it requires perfect technique, and if you slip up more than once or twice, you may as well accept a draw.
  7. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    06 Feb '06 10:35
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    Fide made an amendment to the 50 move rule in 1982, after computer analysis showed that king-bishop-bishop versus king -knight, and king-queen-pawn versus king-queen could indeed require more than 50 moves to mate.
    King-bishop-knight against bare king should be able to be accomplished in 37 moves or less, I believe, but it requires perfect technique, and if you slip up more than once or twice, you may as well accept a draw.
    I think they subsequently rescinded this.
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 05:04
    Redmike is correct, the current FIDE ruling is it is always 50 moves.
  9. Joined
    06 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 15:13
    Can someone tell me what exactly the 50 move rule is?

I just got my friend in checkmate with my Rook and King the only remaining pieces... but the site is telling me that the game is a stalemate. There have been more than 50 moves in the game, but only 9 half-moves since I took my friend's last rook.

Half moves since last capture/pawn move : 9
    Move number : 72

I want it to recognize that I won. Any thoughts?

if there is a sysop reading this, it is game id # 1786610.

Thanks.
  10. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 15:21
    Originally posted by videosyncrasy
    Can someone tell me what exactly the 50 move rule is?

I just got my friend in checkmate with my Rook and King the only remaining pieces... but the site is telling me that the game is a stalemate. There have been more than 50 moves in the game, but only 9 half-moves since I took my friend's last rook.

Half moves since last capture/pawn move : 9
    ...[text shortened]... I won. Any thoughts?

if there is a sysop reading this, it is game id # 1786610.

Thanks.
    Incidentally, it IS a stalemate.

Stalemate: Position where it is one players turn to move, but he has no legal moves, yet he is not in check.

In order for it to be "checkmate", your opponnent must have no legal moves AND be in check.
  11. Joined
    06 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 15:26
    Originally posted by abejnood
    Incidentally, it IS a stalemate.

Stalemate: Position where it is one players turn to move, but he has no legal moves, yet he is not in check.

In order for it to be "checkmate", your opponnent must have no legal moves AND be in check.
    Oh. crap. if my last move had been different it would have been checkmate then. oh well... next time.

thanks for your help
  12. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 15:281 edit
    Originally posted by videosyncrasy
    Oh. crap. if my last move had been different it would have been checkmate then. oh well... next time.

thanks for your help
    No problem.

P.S. You owe me.
  13. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 22:47
    Notice To All Beginners:

Please Learn The Rules.

Thank You.
  14. Standard memberJean Hebert
    1 e4 Draw!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 22:11
    I myself have had the "honor" of playing a B+B vs KN endgame after 78 moves!! It lasted another 64 moves with I finally forcing the loss of his Knight which leads to a routine B+B mate. My opponent resigned after 142 moves. I need not tell you that I have not returned to it to analyze it.
    It was granted a 30 move extention by the arbitor who reasoned that I was indeed working correctly towards a win, in his words, "As well as can be expected." It would have been looked at again should it have gone 80 moves without Pn move or Capture.
    Arbitors have final ruling at the game site.
  15. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 01:201 edit
    Originally posted by Jean Hebert
    I read some of your novels as a kid. My favourites were "Fluke" and "The Dark".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree