1. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    14 Oct '07 18:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Sure, do you?

He had a question, did he get an friendly answer from you?

This is my point: Be friendly to newcomers, answer their questions, be helpful.
    Over and out.
    I bet you moan at (or even report) your colleagues for sending the YTS staff to the storeroom for any of the following items:

Long Weight
    Short Stand
    Sky Hooks
    Rubber Nails
    Spacer Spacers

etc etc etc.

This is my point: Tickle the newcomers, and they might giggle.
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    14 Oct '07 22:28
    Originally posted by rhb
    I bet you moan at (or even report) your colleagues for sending the YTS staff to the storeroom for any of the following items:

Long Weight
    Short Stand
    Sky Hooks
    Rubber Nails
    Spacer Spacers

etc etc etc.

This is my point: Tickle the newcomers, and they might giggle.
    Don't forget to add some pigeon milk to that shopping list.
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Oct '07 09:16
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Don't forget to add some pigeon milk to that shopping list.
    ... and a left handed hammer.
  4. Joined
    29 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 00:02
    i'll tell you what, i won a game and lost 9 rating points and it was explained that that was the way it is at first..But i just lost a game and lost 70 rating points! So how flawed is that ? whether i win or lose i still lose my rating..this site is hereby declared the lamest chess site in the world and i will tell every chess player i know to stear clear of this colossal mess! amen and amen!
  5. Joined
    29 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 00:09
    the blitz site here is the only good thing i might consider playing there still but correspondence is a no win situation whether i win or lose and i'm a chess fanatic so it hurts me to vent on the site like this ..so forgive me for my ego with the rating but as any chess player knows his rating is the barometer on his ego if he's honest with himself..just ask bobby fischer or garry kasparov
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 03:55
    Originally posted by Sohldier
    i'll tell you what, i won a game and lost 9 rating points and it was explained that that was the way it is at first..But i just lost a game and lost 70 rating points! So how flawed is that ? whether i win or lose i still lose my rating..this site is hereby declared the lamest chess site in the world and i will tell every chess player i know to stear clear of this colossal mess! amen and amen!
    Perhaps it would be better to hide the rating points until the 20th rated game is played in order to avoid this kind of confusion.
    As long the rating is provisional it may seem erratic, as one can read here and there.
    And the reason is to get to the real rating level as quick as possible.
    The FAQ explains it. Anyone complaining about rating calculation, go there read all about it.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 06:44
    whether i win or lose i still lose my rating..this site is hereby declared the lamest chess site in the world and i will tell every chess player i know to stear clear of this colossal mess! amen and amen!
    You were pointed to read the FAQ which answers your question very clearly. As you seem unable to do that, I'll quote the relevant part...
    "Until a player has completed 20 games, they will have a provisional rating.

Provisionally rated players will have their rating locked at 1200 until 5 rated games are completed. After 5 games, a rating is displayed, but this rating is still considered provisional until 20 games are complete.

A provisional rated player is indicated by a lower-case 'p' next to their rating."

And

"Note: Until you have completed 20 games your rating may go down even when you win a game!

Until you complete 20 games, you will have a provisional rating. This rating is calculated as the average of all the games you have played. Each game is scored as being your opponent's rating (for a draw), your opponent's rating plus 400 (for a win), or your opponent's rating minus 400 (for a loss). If your opponent is also on a provisional rating, then the 400s above become 200s. If your opponent has played fewer than five games then their rating is treated as 1200 when calculating your rating."

Of course, it's much easier to let somebody else do the donkey work for you, while you get on your high horse.

Read the FAQ! It might stop you being annoyed at the site when your opponent makes an "illegal" pawn capture. 🙄

D
  8. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 09:481 edit
    To those who counselled patience and tolerance, this one's going a bit far to be entitled to claim courtesy from anybody.
  9. San Diego
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 16:35
    On the contrary, the system for determining players' ratings during their first 20 games is extremely clever! It quickly gets a player close to his "true" rating within 20 games. Work through the math in different scenarios. It is ingenious. Don't knock it until you understand it and grasp what its purposes are and how cleverly it accomplishes its purposes.

What system do you propose?

If a new player plays and defeats 20 opponents who are rated 800, has that player earned a rating higher than 1200? We know nothing about how that player might fare against players rated 900, or 1000, or 1200. Would you propose a system that boosted that player's rating to, say, over 1300 in the provisional period?

If it's going to rile you up so much, don't even think about your rating until you've played 20 games. Pretend it doesn't exist. It's provisional until then. That means it's just a number to put on the screen until such time as you've played enough games to be part of the normal system. After 20 games, you emerge with a starting rating that should be getting close to a true representation of how you stand compared to others.
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 17:45
    I tell you! Those Game mods think your play is dull, duller than dishwater. Sharpen it up and your number in a database (of little significance in hte big wide world) will get bigger. Lap it up dude!
  11. Joined
    29 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 20:29
    rhb...You keep saying my play is dull. If it is so dull , than why don't you play me so I can put your name to the test! And don't give me any excuses , cause if you have an excuse not to accept this public challenge than stay on the porch with the other little dogs
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 21:37
    rhb...You keep saying my play is dull. If it is so dull , than why don't you play me so I can put your name to the test! And don't give me any excuses , cause if you have an excuse not to accept this public challenge than stay on the porch with the other little dogs
    LOL. I hope you won't be needing your 6 slots anytime soon.

My game with rhb which started in Oct 2005 is still only in the middlegame.

D
  13. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 22:32
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    LOL. I hope you won't be needing your 6 slots anytime soon.

My game with rhb which started in Oct 2005 is still only in the middlegame.

D
    IIRC you used all your timebank whilst i have loads left, slowby!

Dull dude, if the time controls are exciting enough i'll take your game, c4 is the third dullest opening on this site though, not a good start...
  14. Joined
    29 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 11:47
    Talk about dull, you seem coundfounded as to how to even answer the English opening.. Come on man at least make your first move and show the world your heart is not pumping kool-aid. Feel me?
  15. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 16:53
    Talk about dull, you seem coundfounded as to how to even answer the English opening.. Come on man at least make your first move and show the world your heart is not pumping kool-aid. Feel me?
    I never said I wasn't a dull player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree