Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    21 Jul '15 14:42 / 1 edit
    From today I am getting pop up adverts on every page.
    I am still subscribed.
    How do I block thenm please?
  2. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    21 Jul '15 16:20
    Originally posted by venda
    From today I am getting pop up adverts on every page.
    I am still subscribed.
    How do I block thenm please?
    Where on the page do you see these ads?

    I am supposed to get them and when I do they are always on a strip across the upper part of the page, and are all the way across. I don't always get them on every page and I would not describe them as a pop up. The ad window is always the same size and is sometimes animated a little but it does not pop up and it is always in the same spot.

    Have you done a scan to check your machine for viruses, malware and spyware? You might be getting problems from that. There are various freeware programs around that will do a scan and remove them for you.

    You should not be getting any at all, and should send a feedback if you do not find any bugs after doing a scan.
  3. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    21 Jul '15 17:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by venda
    From today I am getting pop up adverts on every page.
    I am still subscribed.
    How do I block thenm please?
    Please see my feedback response. The ads are not coming from this site. Subscribers will never see ads.
  4. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    21 Jul '15 19:04
    Originally posted by Russ
    Please see my feedback response. The ads are not coming from this site. Subscribers will never see ads.
    Cheers Russ.I downloaded the latest flashplayer ang it put the malaware on my pc.
    The program you suggested removed it.
  5. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    21 Jul '15 19:11
    Any chance you or Russ could share the details of what you used to clear the problem so it may be of benefit for someone else who might have a similar problem?
  6. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    21 Jul '15 19:35
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Any chance you or Russ could share the details of what you used to clear the problem so it may be of benefit for someone else who might have a similar problem?
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  7. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    21 Jul '15 19:59 / 2 edits
    Thanks! That will be helpful in the future, I'm sure.

    It would help if any other members who have useful help in clearing out viruses, spyware, malware and all the other little goblins that get into our computers could share information on how they deal with it.

    I know that firefox recently disabled adobe flashplayer from working in their browser because it had some vulnerability problems that made it possible for someone to hack into machines that used flash. I don't know if adobe ever fixed it or not.

    I know I recently had an issue with adobe acrobat reader on an upgrade of theirs that went through my machine hard drives and automatically associated itself with a large number of files that I usually used other software to read, and then adobe would not read them either. I ended up totally removing adobe reader and flash. I did find another software that will read PDF files just fine.

    I have gotten to the point where I disable auto upgrade functions on almost everything and have had fewer problems. Some folks think that is a big mistake but since I now have fewer headaches associated with automatic upgrades I plan to stick to my personal system of trying to make the decisions of what happens on my computer instead of having things happen automatically with no option to decide for myself on what gets changed.

    Maybe we need a new "computer geeks" forum to address general computer issues that are not specifically related to RHP.
    (I know, "take it to 'site ideas' spanky!"
  8. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    22 Jul '15 08:19
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Thanks! That will be helpful in the future, I'm sure.

    It would help if any other members who have useful help in clearing out viruses, spyware, malware and all the other little goblins that get into our computers could share information on how they deal with it.

    I know that firefox recently disabled adobe flashplayer from working in their browser bec ...[text shortened]... issues that are not specifically related to RHP.
    (I know, "take it to 'site ideas' spanky!"
    I don't have any automatic updates.As long as the pc is working ok I also ignore requests to update.The reason I downloaded the flashplayer was because my yahoo email was really slow because it was trying to display an advert which wouldn't load.
    Trouble is, when downloading,you have to read all the blurb really carefully and opt out of all the extra taskbars and apps that downloads contain.
    I didn't!!
  9. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    23 Jul '15 13:57
    I suggest you do take most recommended updates for the OS at least, as most will be for identified security issues.
  10. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    23 Jul '15 17:19
    Originally posted by Russ
    I suggest you do take most recommended updates for the OS at least, as most will be for identified security issues.
    OK Russ, I followed your advice. 98 upgrades and about three hours later I think my windows 7 is now up to date.
    I'll be saying bad things about you if things go south for me!
    I'm still not going to put anything on 'automatic upgrade' mode.
  11. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    24 Jul '15 09:44
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    OK Russ, I followed your advice. 98 upgrades and about three hours later I think my windows 7 is now up to date.
    I'll be saying bad things about you if things go south for me!
    I'm still not going to put anything on 'automatic upgrade' mode.
    I suggest you leave it so that you are at least informed of available updates, then you can choose which to install.