1. Joined
    18 Jul '13
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 18:40
    How can I post a PGN of a game of mine including annotations in the forum? I somewhere read that you can copy the game from the Interactive (annotations) view but it seems I'm either blind or stupid because I can't find an option to copy PGN there. I know how to put annotations in the forum manually, but surely there must be an option to copy them from the site, no?

Thanks for help.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 14:331 edit
    If you go your game you find at the middle to the right an area with four Tabs one of which is titled pgn.

you Need to post the pgn using the [ pgn] [ /pgn] commands (leave out the blanks).

Otherwise post the game number and I will post the pgn here, so you can see how it is done.

The comments can just be added to the moves in the pgn form.
  3. Joined
    18 Jul '13
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 15:12
    That's how I post a normal game. But isn't there a way to post it with the annotations I've already made? (Unless filling them in all manually)

4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 16:33
    Ah...I didn't get the question...no I don't think that your notes are getting stored with the moves. You would need to copy and paste...probably via an external editor.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 16:451 edit
    I annotated this short game just now.
    You can click reply and quote and then you will be able to see the actual pgn text file with the annotations added, to see how it works.
    Is this pgn format the same as your pgn for annotated games when viewed as a text file?

6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 17:05
    And here is the same thing but with the pgn file laid out the way they usually appear, as a continuous text string.
    The first of my posts probably has a better pgn text layout for entering the annotations.

[Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.timeforchess.com"]
    [Date "xxx"]
    [EndDate "xxx"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "xxx"]
    [Black "mwmiller"]
    [WhiteRating "1353"]
    [BlackRating "1272"]
    [WhiteElo "1353"]
    [BlackElo "1272"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [GameId "xxx"]

{Actual RHP game}
    1. e4 e5 2. Ng1f3 Nb8c6 3. Bf1c4 Nc6d4 {Free pawn offered. White should be suspicious.}4. Nf3xe5 {Look! Free pawn! Better take it!} Qd8g5 5. Ne5xf7 {Better take this one too! Bishop has my back plus I have a nice fork!} Qg5xg2 6. Rh1f1 Qg2xe4 7. Bc4e2 Nd4f3 0-1{That's all folks! The Blackburne Schilling gambit!}

Is this helpful?

7. Joined
    18 Jul '13
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 17:11
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Ah...I didn't get the question...no I don't think that your notes are getting stored with the moves. You would need to copy and paste...probably via an external editor.
    Ok, I see. I'll have to do some manual work then 🙂

Thanks to both of you for clarifying!
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 17:301 edit
    Probably the easiest way would be to copy your pgn file into a simple text editor such as notepad, then lay the moves out into individual rows as I had them in my first example. From there it is maybe easier to add your annotations where you want them.

In your original post you mentioned some games that you have that are already annotated. Can you post one of the pgn files here so we can see what the format looks like?
  9. Joined
    18 Jul '13
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 21:45
    It was actually the game I posted above. The extracted PGN file doesn't contain the annotations I made. That's why I asked whether there is a way to include them automatically.
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 12:111 edit
    Originally posted by Fanakick
    It was actually the game I posted above. The extracted PGN file doesn't contain the annotations I made. That's why I asked whether there is a way to include them automatically.
    If you can see the pgn text file of your game with the annotations included, you should be able to copy that pgn file from the source and then paste it into your forum post.

I'm far from being an expert on this. I've been playing with it just a little for the first time in this thread.
    I would suggest that some of the regulars that post games in the "chess only" forum might be helpful if you browse through some of the threads in there and when you see someone who is posting annotated games, you could send them a pm and perhaps they would be helpful for your situation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree