Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 26 Apr '06 01:24
    Today I managed to get challenged by someone, have that person move, and then immediately resign to be before I ever checked email or accepted the challenge. Now I have a "bogus" win on my record. Is there any way to remove this game?

    Game 2019476

    I don't want any wins on my record that I didn't earn.

    A related topic - if I set my max number of games in my Challenge settings to zero, will that effectively prevent people from challenging me, unless they're on my buddy list? I would prefer to find open games on my own time, and not have people (except for friends) sending me challenges I probably don't want.

    Any help is appreciated...
  2. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    26 Apr '06 03:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by drabbuhevad
    Today I managed to get challenged by someone, have that person move, and then immediately resign to be before I ever checked email or accepted the challenge. Now I have a "bogus" win on my record. Is there any way to remove this game?

    Game 2019476

    I don't want any wins on my record that I didn't earn.

    A related topic - if I set my max nu pt for friends) sending me challenges I probably don't want.

    Any help is appreciated...
    On the first point, I don't think you can do anything. A resignation is the other person giving in - no matter how stupid their behaviour. If the game had been *deleted* instead, it wouldn't count.

    On the second point, if your max number of games is zero then no-one will be able to challenge you, not even your buddies. You will have to challenge them - or lift the number higher for a little while when you know they're going to challenge you.

    ANY number lower than your current number of games will prevent challenges.
  3. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    26 Apr '06 04:22
    Originally posted by orfeo
    On the first point, I don't think you can do anything. A resignation is the other person giving in - no matter how stupid their behaviour. If the game had been *deleted* instead, it wouldn't count.

    On the second point, if your max number of games is zero then no-one will be able to challenge you, not even your buddies. You will have to challenge them - o ...[text shortened]... challenge you.

    ANY number lower than your current number of games will prevent challenges.
    Until recently you were right.
    Thread 41930
  4. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    26 Apr '06 11:22
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Until recently you were right.
    Thread 41930
    Well, I'll be a pink flamingo in an undersized tutu!

    Hey, I was only 6 days out of date.
  5. 26 Apr '06 12:49 / 1 edit
  6. 26 Apr '06 12:52
    I have had the same problem when I started posting invites. At least 10 games were deleted by players after a couple of moves, for no apparent reason.. (see my thread - deleting games-)

    I don't understand what you mean by these "bogus" wins being on your record though; surely they don't count at all, do they?
  7. 26 Apr '06 13:22
    Originally posted by FrenchQueen


    I don't understand what you mean by these "bogus" wins being on your record though; surely they don't count at all, do they?
    If the person resigns, they would presumably be counted in your overall win/lose/draw scores [and ratings] whereas if they were deleted they would not.
  8. 26 Apr '06 13:23
    Originally posted by FrenchQueen
    I don't understand what you mean by these "bogus" wins being on your record though; surely they don't count at all, do they?
    Yep, they do. Check out my profile. I have three wins, but I've only "played" two games (both rated and against a friend).

    I think it's pretty questionable behavior to be awarded a win for a game that I never consented to play and never moved in. I was under the impression I had to actually accept the challenge before the game would start.
  9. 26 Apr '06 13:24 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    If the person resigns, they would [b]presumably be counted in your overall win/lose/draw scores [and ratings] whereas if they were deleted they would not.[/b]
    That's what I'm after. I want this game whacked from existance so it doesn't count on my stats. It's not a real game!
  10. 26 Apr '06 13:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by drabbuhevad
    Yep, they do. Check out my profile. I have three wins, but I've only "played" two games (both rated and against a friend).

    I think it's pretty questionable behavior to be awarded a win for a game that I never consented to play and never moved in. I was under the impression I had to actually accept the challenge before the game would start.
    I agree that you should not be awarded a win for a game that's been deleted and that you've not even started to play.

    On the other hand I feel that players who just DELETE games they've started should be penalised and possibly lose some points on their ratings.
  11. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    26 Apr '06 13:39
    Originally posted by FrenchQueen
    I agree that you should not be awarded a win for a game that's been deleted and that you've not even started to play.

    On the other hand I feel that players who just DELETE games they've started should be penalised and possibly lose some points on their ratings.
    You are talking at cross purposes. The opponent in this case resigned, the player wants it removed from his record. You are whining about deletions. Not the same thing.
  12. 26 Apr '06 13:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You are talking at cross purposes. The opponent in this case resigned, the player wants it removed from his record. You are whining about deletions. Not the same thing.
    my mistake, sorry.

    I am not "whining" by the way, there's no need to be pejorative.
  13. 26 Apr '06 15:14
    Originally posted by FrenchQueen
    I agree that you should not be awarded a win for a game that's been deleted and that you've not even started to play.

    On the other hand I feel that players who just DELETE games they've started should be penalised and possibly lose some points on their ratings.
    The game hasn't been deleted... it's still there. I just question why the game was allowed to start and be resigned in the first place, since I never accepted the challenge.

    Do any of the site admins scan these threads? If so, can one of them help? I'm very impressed with this site, it's by far the best I've found but this issue bugs me a little. There is the potential for abuse here.
  14. Subscriber cashthetrash
    PoPeYe
    27 Apr '06 07:57
    That does seem strange that they would resign on their first move instead of just canceling the game within their first two moves. I assume they didn't know how. You are going to find many players that will drop their games and not finish for whatever reason here. Maybe they were too busy or whatever. It happens a lot. Better they do that than to make four or five moves and just make you wait several days for it to time out. They might even have thought they were doing you a favor. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. But if it really bothers you. You can contact the administrators at the link at the bottom of the page Send feedback. And maybe they can help you. Not real sure it will be top priority though.
  15. 27 Apr '06 18:30
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I did send feedback, and one of the site mods was kind enough to take the win off my record, although the game is still there. So I have some more feedback to send, but the site mods do seem to be agreeable to this sort of request should it happen to anyone else.