1. Joined
    12 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 15:57
    I am black.
    It won't let me castle on the king side and for the life of me I don't know why.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 15:59
    Originally posted by remington1
    I am black.
    It won't let me castle on the king side and for the life of me I don't know why.
    By the rules, please look them up...

You can not castle into or through check.

The white queen blocks your king's ability to castle.

P-
  3. Joined
    12 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 16:081 edit
    Wow.

I've been playing chess for 30 years. I have over 17,000 moves on this site. And I never knew that you couldn't castle if the King "moved through" a check position. Amazing.

Thanks for answering despite the condescending tone.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 16:14
    Wow.

I've been playing chess for 30 years. I have over 17,000 moves on this site. And I never knew that you couldn't castle if the King "moved through" a check position. Amazing.

Sorry about the tone... not that any was intended... I'd just hate to see you miss another aspect of this rule.

Some get confused and next believe the Rook can't castle through check... others don't realize you can't castle out of check... it's worth reading the whole rule.

P-
  5. Earth Prime
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 03:181 edit
    I haven't looked at what you wrote. Was it a stalemate and you left your opponent no legal moves?

Edit: No it wasn't.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 16:36
    Wow.

You are in good company. Korchnoi had to ask a similar question during a match with Karpov.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 22:401 edit
    Originally posted by Kepler
    You are in good company. Korchnoi had to ask a similar question during a match with Karpov.
    Yes, Korchnoi asked if his rook could move through check, but I think that lapse can be chalked off to extreme pressure and anxiety, he surely knew the rule. Just had a massive synapse malfunction.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 13:27
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Yes, Korchnoi asked if his rook could move through check, but I think that lapse can be chalked off to extreme pressure and anxiety, he surely knew the rule. Just had a massive synapse malfunction.
    Ha! Read my last post... "can a rook castle through check?"

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree