1. Tacoma, WA
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 00:55
    Game 3034784

Help! Did RHP just allow an illegal castling move or am I overlooking a rule making this castle legal?
  2. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 00:58
    Originally posted by kingarthur
    Game 3034784

Help! Did RHP just allow an illegal castling move or am I overlooking a rule making this castle legal?
    There seems to be nothing wrong with that castle.
  3. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 01:011 edit
    Game 3034784

It looks like a illegal castle to me. It clearly is crossing over a check of your bishop on e-4. I would stop the game and send in feedback with the game id and explain the problem. Or wait until someone else responds to this post that knows more about RHP and what to do in a case like this. It's a first one on me 😲
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 01:05
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    It looks like a illegal castle to me. It clearly is crossing over a check. I would stop the game and send in feedback with the game id and explain the problem. Or wait until someone else responds to this post that knows more about RHP and what to do in a case like this. It's a first one on me 😲
    As long as the KING doesn't pass through an attacked square it's ok. The rook can.
  5. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 01:06
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    It looks like a illegal castle to me. It clearly is crossing over a check. I would stop the game and send in feedback with the game id and explain the problem. Or wait until someone else responds to this post that knows more about RHP and what to do in a case like this. It's a first one on me 😲
    The King did not cross check, only the rook passed through an attacked square which is a legal move I believe.
  6. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 01:074 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    As long as the KING doesn't pass through an attacked square it's ok. The rook can.
    Really, I didn't know that. Learn something knew everyday 🙄 Interesting. 😉 And here I thought I knew how to play chess 😳 I at least thought I knew how the pieces could move anyway. 😳 Maybe it's time I do read a chess book. 😲
  7. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 01:10
    Game 3034784

White's castling was perfectly fine and legal. Black's bishop didn't control any of the squares that the King passed through, so there isn't a problem.
  8. Tacoma, WA
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 01:44
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    White's castling was perfectly fine and legal. Black's bishop didn't control any of the squares that the King passed through, so there isn't a problem.
    I'm not sure what is meant by control of the square. Can you please explain further. I thought my white bishop on e4 should have prevented a queenside castle by exercising control over the b1 square?
  9. Tacoma, WA
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 02:08
    Ah...I understand the rule now. That was a first for me. I thought I knew all the rules of chess.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 12:44
    Ah...I understand the rule now. That was a first for me. I thought I knew all the rules of chess.
    Don't feel bad....from Wikipedia:

"Viktor Korchnoi, in his 1974 Candidates final match with Anatoly Karpov, famously asked the arbiter if castling was legal when the castling rook was under attack. The answer was in the affirmative, and Korchnoi ended up winning the game. It is actually a beginner's question, since the legality of a move is basic and essential knowledge."

I believe stress was what caused Korchnoi to ask such an elementary question, since he had to be aware of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree