1. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 03:44
    any guidlines or restrictions on a players chronically timing people out, and winning mostly only games in which they have timed people out? Then wont do a rematch.

WadmasterD plays one day games with no timeback and preys on anyone who goes a minute over. Very few legitimate wins.
    Does the rating take that into consideration? Pretty cheap way to get most of ones wins. Happened to me - no big deal - but in looking at his public games - most of his wins are through timeouts.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 04:10
    Originally posted by impatient
    any guidlines or restrictions on a players chronically timing people out, and winning mostly only games in which they have timed people out? Then wont do a rematch.

WadmasterD plays one day games with no timeback and preys on anyone who goes a minute over. Very few legitimate wins.
    Does the rating take that into consideration? Pretty cheap way to ge ...[text shortened]... o me - no big deal - but in looking at his public games - most of his wins are through timeouts.
    more points for the people who beat him. its only a rating, who cares?
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 05:07

Does the rating take that into consideration? Pretty cheap way to ge ...[text shortened]... o me - no big deal - but in looking at his public games - most of his wins are through timeouts.
    Well perhaps people shouldn't start games they don't think they can keep up with.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 11:13
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Well perhaps people shouldn't start games they don't think they can keep up with.
    There is that.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 11:39
    He's winning games and keeping within the rules - good luck to him.
  6. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 15:42
    Originally posted by trevor33
    more points for the people who beat him. its only a rating, who cares?
    Are you saying ratings dont matter? That's a new one. You'd have a hard time convincing many people of that. Check the open invites and the ratings requeted for opponents - only a small examples of why people care.
  7. In your face
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 16:14
    Are you saying ratings dont matter? That's a new one. You'd have a hard time convincing many people of that. Check the open invites and the ratings requeted for opponents - only a small examples of why people care.
    Ah well. There are people on this site who do this kind of thing. Just put it down to experience and don't bother playing them again. I for one have noted what you have said and will refuse to play someone who tries this sort of thing.
    If they believe they are good at chess, just because of some number that they have managed to accrue through sly methods, then leave them happy in their ignorance.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 20:12
    nothing wrong with wanting to play people of a certain level. what i'm saying is that if he wants to take t/os and peoples rating points why should you care? the other players knew the t/c and didn't move in time, plus he'll end up losing most of the points gained anyway to better players of the same rating.
  9. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 21:01
    Originally posted by trevor33
    nothing wrong with wanting to play people of a certain level. what i'm saying is that if he wants to take t/os and peoples rating points why should you care? the other players knew the t/c and didn't move in time, plus he'll end up losing most of the points gained anyway to better players of the same rating.
    Plus he only plays players rated under 1100, so is rating increses will become less and less. If he keeps going the way he is, timeouts won't even really help his rating much anymore.
  10. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 21:02
    Ratings as a number aren't important. I want to improve as a player, and a rating is a good way to measure that, but if it is temporarily inflated or deflated, it doesn't really mean anything. Overall skill is what matters, not your pointless little ever-changing number.
  11. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 00:52
    WadmasterD is especially bad...I try to avoid players of that sort
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 07:11
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Ratings as a number aren't important. I want to improve as a player, and a rating is a good way to measure that, but if it is temporarily inflated or deflated, it doesn't really mean anything. Overall skill is what matters, not your pointless little ever-changing number.
    Rating is the most reliable way to measure chess skills. There are no better measure.

But of course you have to take things into concideration, like temporary downs or ups, a series of timeouts of various reasons, illegal use of engines and so forth.

I don't like to play a 1800 rating opponent if he has a temporary rating of 1300. When I lose (and to a 1800 I will) I lose just to much rating points. If I play against a 1300 rating opponent with a temporary rating af 1800 means something fisy of any kind. When I challange someone I take this into concideration.

If I ask someone "How good are you?" I get no information if he answers "Well, pretty good." I get better information if he says "Well, about 100 points above you."

My point is about rating is that the number perhaps not give you the complete information or the true information but it gives you some information. That's good enough for me.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 19:53
    Originally posted by Greg416
    WadmasterD is especially bad...I try to avoid players of that sort
    TOO FUNNY ! A 1000 rated player saying a 1100 rated player is too bad to play.....hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 21:46
    Wins on time are legitimate. Try re-reading the rules.
  15. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 22:523 edits

Its very simple. Don't accept the open invite with a 24hr timeout no timebank if you can't move at least once every 24hrs. Snooze you lose! When someone puts up a open invite with a 24hr timeout and no timebank, Its clear they want to play a fast game. Maybe WadmasterD gets pissed off when his opponents continue not to move when they know he wants a fast game. I think it's unfair of you to say he is preying on people. Its clear what timeout he is offering in his open invite. If you accept it, expect to be timed out if you don't move in the 24hrs. and expect to lose the game. And it is a legitimate win. It's all very simple. And why is this post in the HELP forum????? No tissue for your tears here. You have to buy your own.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree