1. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 May '07 14:25
    Alright, I'm a bit shaky on the rules on claiming a draw. This third repetition of a play. Is it your pieces have to be in the same position 3 times, all the pieces on the board, or some other combination? I'm curious because unsure of the rules. Thanks.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 May '07 14:301 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorDara
    Alright, I'm a bit shaky on the rules on claiming a draw. This third repetition of a play. Is it your pieces have to be in the same position 3 times, all the pieces on the board, or some other combination? I'm curious because unsure of the rules. Thanks.
    Exact same position 3 separate times. Most often when this happens there was a second position that was covered twice. 1 In check / Out / 2 In check / Out / 3 In check (claim)

The out of check position was covered twice, but on the third check all the same pieces are all in the same place and the draw can be claimed.

If the draw is not claimed, it can be claimed with the next move coming out of check because that has been done 3 times now.

P-
  3. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 May '07 14:35
    Ok, this I get. So it has to be all the pieces on the board? I can't just move back and forth 3 times waiting on them to get into position?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 May '07 14:37
    Originally posted by DoctorDara
    Ok, this I get. So it has to be all the pieces on the board? I can't just move back and forth 3 times waiting on them to get into position?
    No, because even I could draw a GM at that point. They need to make the moves also, it is forced often times.

If you or I could do it alone at any time, there would be no point in playing chess at all.

P-
  5. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 May '07 16:38
    The actual wording of the Law can be found at the FIDE site : -
    http://fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE1
    If you then go to "E.I.01A. Laws of Chess" and look at Article 9.2 : -
    'The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by a repetition of moves)
    a)is about to appear, if he first writes his move on his scoresheet and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move, or
    b)has just appeared, and the player claiming the draw has the move.
    Positions as in (a) and (b) are considered the same, if the same player has the move, pieces of the same kind and colour occupy the same squares, and the possible moves of all the pieces of both players are the same.
    Positions are not the same if a pawn that could have been captured en passant can no longer in this manner be captured or if the right to castle has been changed temporarily or permanently.'

In particular note that it is the POSITION that has to be the same,
    NOT the moves made to reach it.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 May '07 18:562 edits
    I've once hade a game where the same position occured three times at the moves b53, b59, and b61. I claimed draw and I got it imediately, without having to agree with my opponent.
    Game 2304946

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree