1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 22:31
    I have learned from FAQ how to put a full game into a forum posting (on my club's private forum) so that others can play through my game. I would really like to include commentary and ideally variations.

I had the fun idea of inserting the pgn for a game which I have analysed using Fritz, with commentary and variations, and I have worked out how to get a perfectly sensible looking pgn inserted into my post in the approved manner but it is rejected as "invalid pgn." It looks right to me!

How do others manage to do this? I have been searching through the thread history until cross eyed - maybe someone can point me to the best location?
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 15:33
    Originally posted by finnegan
    I have learned from FAQ how to put a full game into a forum posting (on my club's private forum) so that others can play through my game. I would really like to include commentary and ideally variations.

I had the fun idea of inserting the pgn for a game which I have analysed using Fritz, with commentary and variations, and I have worked out how to get ...[text shortened]... hrough the thread history until cross eyed - maybe someone can point me to the best location?
    Look at the last post in this thread by greenerpawn

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=141027&page=1

If you do reply and quote it gives the pgn with comments. Compare teh result with what you have and make any corrections.

Failing that you could PM greenerpawn the pgn you have and ask him where you are going wrong.
  3. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 19:29
    Yes, greenpawn is the man, I'd also say having a look at the chess forum and going through some of his posts on this matter..hitting 'reply and quote' to a pertinent post, will show you the make up of the fen \ pgn post and just how complex it is...it's overly complex to explain, with fen and pgn involved together.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 22:02
    Hmm... Thanks. Before I impose on the man hmself I will have to do some more work on this. There is more than one task wrapped up in my question and if there is no guide already in place, then it seems too much to ask for a personal instruction manual by PM. I will break it down into lesser tasks and work on them one by one.

However I have enjoyed reading his posts and as an added bonus you linked me to David Tebb's superb game against Kasparov.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 22:03
    The site appears to support "annotations" to games but there is no FAQ saying how this might work, I can't see an example - not even clicking on greenpawn34's "annotated games" from his profile. If he does not use it then who does?
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 08:051 edit
    The site appears to support "annotations" to games but there is no FAQ saying how this might work, I can't see an example - not even clicking on greenpawn34's "annotated games" from his profile. If he does not use it then who does?
    I think they were saying go to a thread where someone (e.g., greenpawn) posted a pgn with annotations, and then on that post click "Reply & Quote" and see the details of how the pgn with annotations is done.

When you click "Reply & Quote" it reveals the details.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 14:42
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I think they were saying go to a thread where someone (e.g., greenpawn) posted a pgn with annotations, and then on that post click "Reply & Quote" and see the details of how the pgn with annotations is done.

When you click "Reply & Quote" it reveals the details.
    Thanks I did get that. But the profile page offers a link to "annotated games" (as does the page for Public Games - you will see that if you click Public Games above and check to the left of that page) and that was what I am curious about. I have not found an example nor advice on FAQ for using this facility.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 09:183 edits
    Thanks I did get that. But the profile page offers a link to "annotated games" (as does the page for Public Games - you will see that if you click Public Games above and check to the left of that page) and that was what I am curious about. I have not found an example nor advice on FAQ for using this facility.
    That "annotated games" link on your profile are only RHP games, and you annotate them within the RHP interface.

Go to one of your completed RHP games you would like to annotate. Click on "Annotations for this game" and then click on "Annotate this game" in the lower right corner. Annotate the game, making sure to click on "Save Comments" after each annotation. When done with annotations, click on "Publish annotation" to make that annotated game available to all via the link of "annotated games" on your profile.

I don't think you can import a pgn with annotations to be available via "annotated games" on your profile. You can post in a forum thread, though.

In sum, I don't think you can import a pgn with or without annotations into the RHP game history, or to be found via the link of annotated games on the profile.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 16:39
    Originally posted by moon1969
    That "annotated games" link on your profile are only RHP games, and you annotate them within the RHP interface.

Go to one of your completed RHP games you would like to annotate. Click on "Annotations for this game" and then click on "Annotate this game" in the lower right corner. Annotate the game, making sure to click on "Save Comments" after each ann ...[text shortened]... RHP game history, or to be found via the link of annotated games on the profile.
    Now that I have managed! Clever boy! Game 8543678 But it is a bit insipid somehow. It would be preferable to be able to display the winning variations as they are not totally obvious.

I wanted to observe how I got a good game against a much better opponent (I suspect they often prefer weaker lines to take advantage of our limited understanding of the opening) but at move 15, was too timid to seize the tactical opportunity available for a win. Instead I drifted into inexorable defeat, tripping over my own shoe laces.

However, I am grateful for your advice. It is a start. I often post mortem my games and frankly the lines I miss are often very interesting, unlike the ones I actually play!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree