Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 18 Apr '12 16:35
    Hi there, chess-mates. As a non-subscriber (yet, i'm afraid) would like to know if I could join a private tournament, like I've heard. Most interestingly... Do I need to be a subscriber to create a private tournament? And, if I do become a suscriber, could I invite non-subscribers to the tournament? Thanks a lot
  2. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    18 Apr '12 21:10
    Originally posted by charlucho
    Hi there, chess-mates. As a non-subscriber (yet, i'm afraid) would like to know if I could join a private tournament, like I've heard. Most interestingly... Do I need to be a subscriber to create a private tournament? And, if I do become a suscriber, could I invite non-subscribers to the tournament? Thanks a lot
    Take a look at "clubs". You can join as a non-sub.

    They have a seperate rating system and also can have private tournaments within the clubs, but I'm not sure how this will affect you with your 6 game limit.

    Perhaps someone who is active in the clubs can jump in here and furnish better information on what a non-sub can or cannot do within a club.
  3. 19 Apr '12 08:28
    Thanks!
  4. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    19 Apr '12 09:48
    Club 171 used to run non-sub tournaments, check if they still do.
  5. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    19 Apr '12 10:37
    Club 108 Has a non sub tourney running.

    Club 289 Has one also...

    MUTI has probably the most active club forum on RHP, join and ask for another tourney..
  6. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    19 Apr '12 18:10
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Take a look at "clubs". You can join as a non-sub.

    They have a seperate rating system and also can have private tournaments within the clubs, but I'm not sure how this will affect you with your 6 game limit.

    Perhaps someone who is active in the clubs can jump in here and furnish better information on what a non-sub can or cannot do within a club.
    From what I've seen the 6 game limit applies "accross the board"
  7. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    20 Apr '12 12:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by venda
    From what I've seen the 6 game limit applies "accross the board"
    There was a loophole within clubs whereby a subscriber could place 'open invites,' within that club, and directed at a certain non sub individual they could amass any number in excess of their six game limit. I've seen one chap amass 20games against his non sub buddy...the site 'plugged' that loophole 8mths ago and six games appears to be the max once again...Edit: Unless someone is aware of another loophole that is, keep it secret as long as you can ...
  8. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    20 Apr '12 15:00
    I was browsing through some of the clubs and saw a few with non-subs listed as administrators. Isn't the person who created the club also the administrator who sets up tournaments, and approves membership to the club?

    I thought that only a subscriber could manage the club.
  9. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    20 Apr '12 15:08
    They're all ex-subs and can't do anything in club admin until they re-subscribe. You're right that non-subs can't create clubs.
  10. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    20 Apr '12 16:33
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    They're all ex-subs and can't do anything in club admin until they re-subscribe. You're right that non-subs can't create clubs.
    I thought this also last year when a friend decided against renewing his subs based upon his need to curb his penchant ( read 'addiction' lol ) for managing many many hundreds of ongoing games. We assumed that as a non sub' this would severely affect his abilities with regard to 'Club Colorado USA' administration duties, of which he leads. It doesn't, and he continues to lead it as a non subscriber, maintaining all abilities to create new tournaments...the six on the club home page are all relatively new: Club 221
    Edit: Another club 'oddity' is that lapsed subs club administrators appear unique in that they maintain their flag status 01/01 through 31/12.. so, in theory, your subs could lapse in January this year but your Xmas holiday flag will still go up even though it'd be 11mths beyond your subs expiry. It happened with the same chap above, but 'only' 8mths after they lapsed lol...
  11. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    20 Apr '12 23:51
    That's interesting, they must only test for status when you first do it in both these cases. Is that intentional, do you think?