1. The Smoke
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 02:001 edit
    it may have been answered before (did search, couldn't find) but how does one generate FEN for some middlegame/endgame position? RHP offers only that of a finished game. I mean, without going into very details about FEN itself and how it's composed of. Do you have to figure it out yourself?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 05:132 edits
    Originally posted by Renars
    it may have been answered before (did search, couldn't find) but how does one generate FEN for some middlegame/endgame position? RHP offers only that of a finished game. I mean, without going into very details about FEN itself and how it's composed of. Do you have to figure it out yourself?
    Do like this:

(1) Create a new game. (You don't have to go through the whole procedure, you don't actually need to start a game). Click "NewGame" in the MyGames page.
    (2) In the lower left you find a link "Set up your own board". Click it.
    (3) Read the instrections at the left, and put the pieces where you want them.
    (4) In the bottom you find "Board Status" and "Current Fen". That's a valid Fen string. Copy it with your mouse adn Paste into whatever you like.

If you want to know how the FEN code works, it's not hard, just look it up in the FAQ, or google it.
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 13:21
    If you go to the "game history" of a running game there is the option to make a FEN under create PGN
  4. The Smoke
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 13:31
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    If you go to the "game history" of a running game there is the option to make a FEN under create PGN
    thanks for that. I did know that, yes.. only I was after ANY unspecified (random) position to have a FEN thingy (say, move 21 or 34) for, not just for the finished games or for the current position of the ongoing ones. So, I think, what Fabian is suggesting, should be spot on.

p.s. yes, I've read how it's composed of and what particular bits in the string of characters mean, just haven't given much thought to it, perhaps I should sit down and crack it myself 😉
  5. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 22:31
    perhaps I should sit down and crack it myself 😉
    u should - its dead easy really and is handy to know
  6. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 21:52
    If you have Firefox and the greasemonkey add on, then the following script will keep the FEN up to date in the analysis window.

http://rhp42.110mb.com/gm_scripts/RHPanalysis.user.js

---
    Get Firefox = http://getfirefox.com
    Get the Greasemonkey extension = https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree