Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Standard member English Tal
    Phoneless
    06 Jul '07 13:36
    I have Windows XP Pro...... is the firewall any good?
    Naturally(!), I also use Firefox.

    I've used Zonealarm before when I had Win98, but it didn't acknowledge the existence of AVG. (It appeared to work ok though)
    Is there a freebie that is superior to Windows own?
    Thanks.
  2. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    06 Jul '07 13:50
    Originally posted by English Tal
    I have Windows XP Pro...... is the firewall any good?
    Naturally(!), I also use Firefox.

    I've used Zonealarm before when I had Win98, but it didn't acknowledge the existence of AVG. (It appeared to work ok though)
    Is there a freebie that is superior to Windows own?
    Thanks.
    If you had, why don't you still use Zonealarm? That's how I ROLL!

    P-
  3. Standard member English Tal
    Phoneless
    06 Jul '07 13:55
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    If you had, why don't you still use Zonealarm? That's how I ROLL!

    P-
    Is Zonealarm (free version) superior?
  4. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    06 Jul '07 14:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by English Tal
    Is Zonealarm (free version) superior?
    I would think yes... unless you love/trust Bill Gates.

    My version is paid, so I can't answer for sure.

    P-
  5. Standard member English Tal
    Phoneless
    06 Jul '07 14:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I would think yes... unless you love/trust Bill Gates.

    My version is paid, so I can't answer for sure.

    P-
    I'm not updating Windows anymore, or trying not to, because of the BigBrother tracking of Bill Gates. Hence new firewall required soon, I reckon. Hope that answers your question!
    Thanks for your help so far, but unfortunately I have heard that the freebie ZoneAlarm is no longer up to much, compared to your version.
  6. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    06 Jul '07 15:51
    Originally posted by English Tal
    I'm not updating Windows anymore, or trying not to, because of the BigBrother tracking of Bill Gates. Hence new firewall required soon, I reckon. Hope that answers your question!
    Thanks for your help so far, but unfortunately I have heard that the freebie ZoneAlarm is no longer up to much, compared to your version.
    Is that a good idea? If your new firewall trusts XP, XP will tell it "That's Ok"

    The reason for many updates is that hackers find loopholes, so many updates are for security reasons, not to get more info or spy on you.

    Just a thought.

    P-
  7. Standard member English Tal
    Phoneless
    06 Jul '07 16:01
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Is that a good idea? If your new firewall trusts XP, XP will tell it "That's Ok"

    The reason for many updates is that hackers find loopholes, so many updates are for security reasons, not to get more info or spy on you.

    Just a thought.

    P-
    Indeed.
    Is there a better free firewall available than XP's own, though? I don't know how they rate against each other etc etc.

    (I'm seriously considering installing a whole new operating system, free and legal, in order to rid myself of Big Bro,' though will try it on a secondhand cheapo pc first.)
  8. Standard member Jamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    06 Jul '07 21:36
    Just don't allow it to automatically update!
    And don't install the "authentication" update, regardless of whether you have a legal version of xp or not it will cause strange beautiful problems should you ever have to resuscitate your PC.

    -J
  9. Standard member Jamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    06 Jul '07 21:38
    Originally posted by English Tal
    Indeed.
    Is there a better free firewall available than XP's own, though? I don't know how they rate against each other etc etc.

    (I'm seriously considering installing a whole new operating system, free and legal, in order to rid myself of Big Bro,' though will try it on a secondhand cheapo pc first.)
    Whoops missed the question... Depending on the threat a non-wireless router may give you some peace of mind and possibly obviate the need for a firewall. Unless I am five years behind on my IT (Likely)

    -J
  10. 06 Jul '07 23:25 / 6 edits
    Firstly XP firewall is rubbish - it only works for incoming whereas you need a two way firewall really. ZoneAlarm is also the one I use at present; it's good, and there are other free ones around too that are far superior to XPs]
    Secondly Phlabbs is right, you should ALWAYS get critical updates from Windows Update.

    And if you are up to date with Windows and AVG, you will find they now work OK together.

    Three good free ones [if you don't like ZA]

    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/download.php

    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/

    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
  11. Standard member English Tal
    Phoneless
    07 Jul '07 07:57
    Thanks All.
    Great help, and food for thought.